Leerwerker

Birthday Bible

My son had his birthday recently and I wanted to make him a simple cover for the Bible - any book has a hard time staying intact under a teenager's hand!

The tooling went well, but of course the stitching and gluing of the cover to the Bible, was done into the late hours of the night so that it would be ready for him on wake-up...!

I used my favourite cross design for the front with some fancy font for the writing and the spelling was very deliberate! I used a wood grain effect in the cross and repeated that on the back of the cover.

JOhan

IMG_4845.JPG

IMG_4848.JPG

IMG_4849.JPG

IMG_4850.JPG

post-6312-1206934774_thumb.jpg

post-6312-1206934796_thumb.jpg

post-6312-1206934810_thumb.jpg

post-6312-1206934831_thumb.jpg

Edited by Leerwerker

Nice! I like it.

Very nice. How do you hold the Bible in the cover?

SkipJ

Johan, that's nice looking, I always like that color. I also would like to know how you hold the Bible into this.

Ken

That's a very nice cover!! Your son will love it!!

I have a question for you:How did you do the embossing? I use a kind of awl with a ball in its top to do all my embossings (sorry for the explanation but i don't know the word in English for 'buril') Did you make by hand or with any kind of machine???

Very nice work!!!

^_^

Very nice. How do you hold the Bible in the cover?

SkipJ

Skipj,

I wanted the cover not to be too bulky, as with a slip-on cover, so this one is glued on to the actual hard cover of the Bible itself. I glue the front cover, leave the spine unglued, and then glue the back of the cover. This helps the book open up and the piece of leather that covers the spine can fold back and allow the book to open.

JOhan

I have a question for you:How did you do the embossing? I use a kind of awl with a ball in its top to do all my embossings (sorry for the explanation but i don't know the word in English for 'buril') Did you make by hand or with any kind of machine???

Pet,

The design was put on by free-hand stamping (called leather carving, in America, even though nothing is carved out, but some parts of the leather is pounded down deeper, same as what you probably do with your ball pointed tool).

Does anybody have a link to a web page that shows simple leather carving that we can point Pet to?

JOhan

Hi Johan welcome to the forum, i love the tooling on the old style writing great job, Don

Nice work, As beaverslayer says, I always like the color as well.

NICE!

Great Job, I like it.