Hi folks. I am excited that my Inside the Waistband Holster design is in its final stages, so I thought I would share some pics of the latest prototype. This is a Steer Hide rig with Shark skin accents built for a Heckler & Koch P7. Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques are welcome.

p7iwb2.jpg

p7iwb.jpg

p7iwb3.jpg

That's a work of art. Absolutely beautiful!

Alex

-- Might I add, I love the two-tone color scheme. Brilliant.

Edited by abn

Beautiful work, the colors are very complimentary and the stiching is very good, adds to the overall well balanced looks, seems too nice to cover with just any old belt.

You are an craftsmanship is amazing, now if only I can get mine to look as good! Always enjoy seeing your work.

Brian

Wonderful, nothing to criticize here....a work of art.

Thanks for sharing your great work.

Dave Theobald

http://theobaldleather.com

Now that's one fine lookin' holster. Great design. What kind of snaps? Pull-the-Dot?

Congrad's

Well the pictures look good, but to really critique it I'm going to need you to drop one in the mail for a 1911.

I really do like the brown with the black. Looks really sharp.

Jason

Yes that is one fine looking rig. You did a great job on the molding, and the color and texture combinations make this rig just POP. Thanks for sharing.

Ken

That is a very nice looking rig. Thanks to that squeeze cock, those P7s are hard to build for. Curious as to how well it re-holsters without a full throat band.

Those look like line snaps to me not DOTs.

Thanks for the comments. To answer some questions:

Regis, those are actually line 24 snaps. I need to get some directional snaps before I go into production with this design.

RWClack, the holster is surprisingly sturdy for its weight, and the shark band holds the mouth open better than I ever would have believed. I haven't really even broken it in, but so far there is no trouble whatsoever with one handed re-holstering. I think I am extremely close to releasing this holster series for sale, which is a great relief after the amount of time and money I spent researching and testing ccw holsters.

Just checked out your site. Very nice work.

If I may be so bold as to make one comment. You refer to the safety position being an issue when using your shirt guard. I have found that on often customized models (such as the 1911 platform) it is best not to highly mold the slide release / safety areas. If you mold closely to the factory parts you will have problems with fit and function on models with aftermarket parts. This can include models from Wilson, Kimber, Springfield and even the Colt Custom Shop. I build a lot of holsters for custom 1911s and have found that almost no two safetys are ever the same size or shape.

Just a thought.

Thanks

Ron

RWClark, I appreciate the feed back. I definitely get what you're saying. I have run into that issue already. I am considering building up the safety area on my dummy guns so that any custom safety should have enough clearance, but then I am slightly concerned that some of the safeties will have room to work themselves to the off position. The way I construct my holsters, it is almost impossible not to show every little detail in the dummy gun. I would love to get a 1911 or a dummy for every make and model out there, but I can tell you right now that ain't gonna happen due to cost restraints.

When you make your 1911 holsters, do you simply refrain from bonning the safety area? Thanks again for the help. That's how I learn to improve my products.

I don't use a bone folder for forming at all. I only use it for adding cosmetic details. I use it alot on knife sheaths for forming but not for holsters. For forming I use high pressure (anywhere up to 5 tons depending on the model). Don't even think about using my method when using the real firearm as a forming buck. You will end up with a very flat gun. :rofl:

For models with a comfort/sweat/shirt guard I only lightly form the panel. The guard is only to act as a shield and does not need to provide any retention so detail forming is not needed on that area.

Thanks

Ron

Edited by RWClark

Very nice work there! If you have plans for a left handed version, I'd like to link this page to a member of another forum I frequent. The person in mind would probably be very interested.

I have to agree with Ron on the molding of the safeties, but I'll offer that on a well built 1911 (or any pistol for that matter) the safety should have positive engagement/disengagement and not be prone to unintentional movement.

Feel free to send them my way, TwinOaks. There is a picture of this in the IWB page on my web site. I do get wuite a few orders for lefties. I am actually a lefty but I moat often carry on my "weak" side.

The scary thing about some of the custom 1911 pistols is that the safeties are so long and wide, it's too easy to disengage them. I haven't had a complaint yet, so I'll probably just stick with what I'm doing in that area until I can devise a better way to do things. I would much prefer that they stay exactly how the user intends to carry them, than make a more generic mold that allows enough movement to let them change positions. Still, it sure would be nice to accommodate all the various aftermarket safeties out there.

I Love the way you made this. Quite nice! I sure would make this a series for sale. It's ready. I am getting ready to start making conceal carry holsters. I am going to use my pistol as a pattern first, then try others.