MarkB

Help with step-in shot gun chaps

I have been asked about making a pair of shot guns at are step ins.

1st I would like to know if any one here has made any before?

2nd how would you go about making the legs so a guy can get them on and off with boots on? (If it is doable).

Just looking for input on this if any one can help.

Thanks

Mark

2nd how would you go about making the legs so a guy can get them on and off with boots on? (If it is doable).

Thanks

Mark

Big. That is about all you can do is make the leg big. And you will have a lot of slack left over when they get their leg in it. I know that customer hate it when I do this, but I try to talk them out of it. I just tell them the truth. That they are going to have a ton of slack. Another thing that I have done is make them step ins from just above the knee down, and close the rest of the leg with short zippers. And that works pretty good you have enough slack up top in the thigh area to get them on, but they are still fitted.

When I go to close the leg I lace them, just like I would a zippered pair only through both sides of the leg. If you need a picture of the lacing let me know. I can post one.

Ross

Ross

I like the idea of short zippers. I make my chinks for myself and others that are step-ins and lace them up and make my shotguns with zippers that you step in then zip. I hate to try and reach around and get a zipper started this makes that not a problem. I hate to make them to slack for safety reasons.

Thanks for the in put Ross that helps.

Mark

We do some step in shot guns but only leave about two inches above the zipper as the step in. This just is a normal shot gun that you step into the top of and it can be easily done with a boot on since it is as large as the top of thigh then zip them down. It just eliminates the need of the having to try and bend around and get a zipper started.

Dink

Mark, I make some step in leggins.........I guess they would be called a shotgun / batwing hybrid. I lace them shut from right below the knee up. Below that I use a couple straps with clip snaps, so they can be secured when working on the ground, or riding a colt on a windy day. They can be fitted for a good fit around the thigh this way, and still be able to get them on / off with boots & hooks on. I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but hope it is helpful. JWbells 1.jpgleggins1.jpg

post-5250-126402712793_thumb.jpg

post-5250-126402717514_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Mark

I've made several "Arizona", shot-gun or step=in chaps that can be put on over a pair of boots. Takes some time in pattern development, i use oil cloth and staples to develop my patterns as it doesn't stretch like normal cloth does. I develop my pattern with a three inch overlap down the side, and then put slits down both pieces with a 1" piece of leather to connect the sides. I do reenactments so never ever use zippers!!! Once i have my basic pattern, i commit it to cardboard for future sets. believe me it takes time but the product is well worth it. Single pocket on off side, and buckle on off side as well versus in center. Olkder chaps have 5 or 7 holes in front, then fewer as you progress from mid-1800s to finally three holes around the turn of the century. jamcooper@aol.com if you want more. regards, curmudgeon

Mark, I make some step in leggins.........I guess they would be called a shotgun / batwing hybrid. I lace them shut from right below the knee up. Below that I use a couple straps with clip snaps, so they can be secured when working on the ground, or riding a colt on a windy day. They can be fitted for a good fit around the thigh this way, and still be able to get them on / off with boots & hooks on. I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but hope it is helpful. JWbells 1.jpgleggins1.jpg

Hey JW,

where did you get your rowels, I tried making some, they just are not what I wanted, I like those you got on in the pic. Nice looking leggins too.. .sorry "CHAPS" in my country there called leggins.

Bart

Thanks JW

This helps out a lot I have been looking to make some like these soon. I'm still looking to try and make full shot guns that are laced all the way down but I think I'll have to just set to it and give it a try. That is how I have done most everything I make. Like those leggin very much You do really nice work.

Mark

I've made several "Arizona", shot-gun or step=in chaps that can be put on over a pair of boots. Takes some time in pattern development, i use oil cloth and staples to develop my patterns as it doesn't stretch like normal cloth does. I develop my pattern with a three inch overlap down the side, and then put slits down both pieces with a 1" piece of leather to connect the sides. I do reenactments so never ever use zippers!!! Once i have my basic pattern, i commit it to cardboard for future sets. believe me it takes time but the product is well worth it. Single pocket on off side, and buckle on off side as well versus in center. Olkder chaps have 5 or 7 holes in front, then fewer as you progress from mid-1800s to finally three holes around the turn of the century. jamcooper@aol.com if you want more. regards, curmudgeon

thanks Curmudgeon

I will have to work up a pattern and see what happens.

Mark