ClayB

Mountain Lion, a work in progress

Since we've been in the deep freeze for about a week now, I've had some time to work on some leather projects. I've got a few different things started, and have been having varying degrees of success, so I decided to work on something more comfortable for me. I've been wanting to try my hand at this pattern out of Robb Barr's book for awhile now. It's coming along pretty well but it's got a ways to go yet. Anyway, here's how it looks so far.

PICT0008 (1280x960).jpgPICT0016 (1280x960).jpg

The first picture was taken right on my bench like I've always done. The second I took this morning in the light booth Stacy got me for Christmas. I never realized it could make that much of a difference!

There's more pictures of this project on my blog if anyone is interested in seeing how it's progressed.

post-12-126305280693_thumb.jpg

post-12-126305293509_thumb.jpg

This looks awesome, so far, Clay! Your wildlife carvings are always so life-like, and this one is no different, even without any coloring. Can't wait to see how it turns out! :popcorn:

Kate

Dang it's real looking !!! Great job Clay !!!

Glad you both like it. It's been fun to work on so far.

and this one is no different, even without any coloring.

Remember when you said you were wondering how one of my pictures would look with some airbrush work, Kate? I could send this one your way when the carving is done and you could find out :whatdoyouthink::innocent:

NICE. A little "dry brush" to make the hair stand out ... sweet!

Remember when you said you were wondering how one of my pictures would look with some airbrush work, Kate? I could send this one your way when the carving is done and you could find out :whatdoyouthink::innocent:

Yeah, I do remember that. Okay, I'll take you up on it... looks like it would be fun!

Kate

I so enjoy it when you get frozen in for the winter, Clay. Love to see what you end up working on. The mountian lion is looking great and I really like how the grass is coming along.

Kate's got all the popcorn, so I will have to just sip my coffee and wait to see what comes next. coffeecomp.gif

Crystal

That's great Kate. I'm so excited to see how this will turn out now! (and those half done tiny horses are excited too, they didn't think I'd ever get back to them)

Crystal, it's nice that someone finds the good side of our winter weather! Actually I like that part of it too, although working one day in 3 weeks makes for a lousy paycheck. But hey, it's 50 degrees warmer right now than it was yesterday morning! Sounds like this coming week is supposed to be pretty nice so not sure how much more I'll get done here in the leather shop. In the meantime, you've got time to pick up some more popcorn and I'll let you know when I get some more done.

Lovely:-)

It's so lifelike you can almost hear the roar...I'm too are happy that the weather keeps you indoors *S*

I don't realy want to open a can of casing worms !!!!but I must ask....(this is not a normal casing project is it.?.) breafly what speciel changes are made for such a large and ongoing project ????AWWWW opened the can did't I sorry!!!!I am a big fan and student of your work >>>>>Doc ......

Hi Doc,

You're right, this isn't a normal carving project so throw all the casing rules out the window. Before I do the first part of an embossing project, I'll quick case the leather. I usually wet it first from the back, then a little more on the front. Then I'll trace, cut and bevel the outline and do some rough beveling of the muscles etc. You will know if the moisture is right if when you bevel, you get a dark line on the back side of the leather. Then you need to wet the leather that will be stretched some more. Usually I will add this moisture on the backside again, either with a spray bottle or a sponge but only inside that bevel line. You want it fairly damp to do the stretching, but you dont want it so wet that it comes through to the front side (if some does it's ok, but you dont want it soaking wet). Once the stretching is done you apply rubber cement to the back and fill in the putty. Then I hang the picture up to let the putty dry. I usually let it dry overnight so the putty sets up and the leather is going to be completely dry again. When you get ready to start working on it again, I will just spray water on the front again to get it ready. At this point I usually rubber cement the leather to a piece of cardboard. The leather needs to be damp enough to get it to flatten out against the cardboard. The next step is to shape the leather with bevelers and pear shaders so it needs to have about as much moisture in it as for regular carving. When I cut in the hair, the leather is again pretty much dry. Now that I'm back to shaping the grass blades, I'll dampen those areas a little. So for a project like this, the leather gets wet and dried several times and it doesn't seem to hurt anything. Hope that helps.

It got really nice here in ND again so I'm back to work and not sure when I'll get back to this, but I'll post a picture when I get it finished. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Glad you both like it. It's been fun to work on so far.

Yeah, I do remember that. Okay, I'll take you up on it... looks like it would be fun!

Kate

DO IT!!!!

I just love seeing your work in progress Clay. Looks just like you are molding clay and not leather ;-)

Can't wait to see it finished with Kates touch to it.

Tom

Clay,

your mountain lion is stunning. Can’t wait to see it finished.

Gisela