bruce johnson

Latest Rope Can

I just finished this rope can up for a young calf roper in Alabama. He had contacted me a month ago about a can and maybe helping out a little with sponsoring it. I usually don't sponsor directly, and mostly donate to fundraisers. I was really impressed with how polite he was. A little Google work showed he could rope about as much too. He has been a three time NHSFR qualifier, three time USCRA World Finalist and Showdown Finalist, and Wrangler All Star. He competes in some of the association rodeos back there too. I am attaching pics of the can and strap.

Will Saucer Rope Can.JPG

Will Saucer Rope Can strap - front - hoof pick pocket..JPG

Will Saucer Rope Can strap back. .JPG

post-29-126349903308_thumb.jpg

post-29-126349904723_thumb.jpg

post-29-126349905885_thumb.jpg

that is beautiful Mr. Bruce! Be proud.

side note: I received the pieces of leather today. I have something coming in return. Many thanks.

WOW - that is beautiful. Since I am pretty new to projects like this, can I ask a few questions?

how much time from start to finish (granted you probabyl had a pattern already close to done that was modified) did it take you to make this can for him?

Can you take a picture from the side?

I haven't done one yet, but really want to - this is really beautiful!

Charlene

Very kewl............When I was that young man's age, I never roped good enough to have a can like that. Sounds like he does. If yer gonna be fancy, better be a wolf! JW

WOW! If I still tossed a loop I would love to have one of these. You and Bob Park make the best rope cans my memory can recall. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Storm

Very kewl............When I was that young man's age, I never roped good enough to have a can like that. Sounds like he does. If yer gonna be fancy, better be a wolf! JW

JW,

Thanks. I never did either. Firs time I tied below 11, a 9.7 won it. When we were this kid's age, rope cans were made out of tin with a star pressed into the top and we wrote our name on them with a magic marker. They had a sack of dessicant in the well you'd throw in the warm oven every so often in humid places. In the dry we'd stick a pilfered wet Holiday Inn washcloth to raise the humidity. Remember those days? I got one of the early Sierra cans from Smith Bros in about 81 or so. They only came in tan then. Now we have a choice of 6 colors and tan isn't one of them. I'd like to find one of those old tin cans and a tan Smith Bros just to have again.

WOW - that is beautiful. Since I am pretty new to projects like this, can I ask a few questions?

how much time from start to finish (granted you probabyl had a pattern already close to done that was modified) did it take you to make this can for him?

Can you take a picture from the side?

I haven't done one yet, but really want to - this is really beautiful!

Charlene

Charlene,

Thanks. These are porbably my favorite orders. The font came off my computer. The flowers are tapoffs. The overall pattern took about 3 hours to draw the first time. I have modified it a little for each one I do, and that took about an hour maybe. I was thinking of fillling in the center with floral, doing a plank wood background, or basket stamping it. My wife said to stop right there where I did and leave the center open. My other advisor said the same thing without prompting so I believed them. Total time on the ropecan and strap - about 9-10 hours maybe. I don't have a picture from the side, he already has it. However here is a link that shows some I am kind of proud of - rope cans . At least two of the rope cans in there I did, and maybe a third. Some photographer thought they were photogenic.

Sweet, another rope can maker!! Storm is right, so far you and Bob Parks take the cake on the cans. This really looks like a cool project to do.

It's good to see a bama man taken care of. The way you left your website is nice and classy. I like the flowers, I agree that the open middle is much better than having filled it in with another design.

Bruce that is a right pretty can you made for that young man. I hope he can rope as nice as that can is and he has a good future. lol keep up the great work and thanks for the pictures. Garynotworthy.gif

I like it Bruce, just plain like it. Anyone who wouldn't want that is just too picky. I hope he's kinder and gentler with it than I was mine.

P.S. I have one of the old Smith Bros. cans you want, but it's all covered in stickers

and I'm keepin' it. LOL

I just finished this rope can up for a young calf roper in Alabama. He had contacted me a month ago about a can and maybe helping out a little with sponsoring it. I usually don't sponsor directly, and mostly donate to fundraisers. I was really impressed with how polite he was. A little Google work showed he could rope about as much too. He has been a three time NHSFR qualifier, three time USCRA World Finalist and Showdown Finalist, and Wrangler All Star. He competes in some of the association rodeos back there too. I am attaching pics of the can and strap.

Dear Mr. Johnson,

I have just viewed your rope can and the accompanying story. That is a wonderful story and you, Sir, are a gracious man. That is evident. It is very nice to hear you are impressed and appreciate politeness. Is this letter not very polite? If so, can I request your sponsorship and . . . oh, wait! I ALREADY have an original Bruce Johnson Leatherwork comb case.

Respectfully,

Harvey Lutske

Very nice work. I've seen a lot of 'em. Your's is outstanding.

Wow, I don't know how I missed this... Beautiful work, Bruce! Almost makes me want to buy a rope. :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Kate

nice looking can geat job

Dscott

Looks great! I look forward to seeing it hanging on a horse at the NFR.

I think your wife was right about leaving the center open and the lettering looks great.

Charlene,

Thanks. These are porbably my favorite orders. The font came off my computer. The flowers are tapoffs. The overall pattern took about 3 hours to draw the first time. I have modified it a little for each one I do, and that took about an hour maybe. I was thinking of fillling in the center with floral, doing a plank wood background, or basket stamping it. My wife said to stop right there where I did and leave the center open. My other advisor said the same thing without prompting so I believed them. Total time on the ropecan and strap - about 9-10 hours maybe. I don't have a picture from the side, he already has it. However here is a link that shows some I am kind of proud of - rope cans . At least two of the rope cans in there I did, and maybe a third. Some photographer thought they were photogenic.

Hi Bruce,

I looked at the picture, I thought rope cans were 100% covered, so that was why I asked - but the picture is cool! So you just cover the tops and bottoms? When you first started making these kinds of things, how did you get the word out - did you go to Rodeo's and have a booth? Do you do any trade or consumer shows? Just curious - these are too cool! I am just starting working cow horse, but maybe down the road I'll need one!

Charlene,

I just cover the tops. Leather bottoms would get pretty torn up from getting thrown down into the dirt. I have done a couple of them with the sides covered, but haven't had anyone ask for several years and that is just as well.

I got started doing leather kind of casually one winter after I broke my pelvis. I was making up belts and headstalls. I have had experience doing several different things with horses, so that varied background has helped with relating to how something is used, and some of my personal preferences come through. Once I healed and got to going again, I'd sell headstalls off my saddlehorn and pay fees. I got a business license then. It just kind of built from there, but on a local kind of level. I got asked to do little awards, then more and more stuff. I did wholesale work for a few different sellers as word spread. That got me to doing a lot of different things. Last year we started up the website, and that has really expanded things. I don't do trade shows, but have had people resell or sell some stuff on consignment at bigger shows like the NFR in the past.

Good luck with the working cow horse, it is a ton of fun. We did that for a while, and my sister-in-law is into the reined cowhorse on a big scale. She has shown snaffle bitters, hackamore, and bridle horses for a long time. She also sshows versatility and qualified two horses for the AQHA Ranch Horse Versatility Finals this year. I made her the rope can with a spade bit cheek tooled into it for Christmas. The finals finished up last night, and she ended up 5th and 6th overall in the open. She had a great run on one in the Working Ranch Horse and won that last night. It was pretty cool.

Hi Bruce.

Nice work on the rope can. I too can remember when the galvanized tin cans were the real deal. Wish we could still get some of the grass ropes we had back then.

Very nice work.

D McLean

Hey Bruce i know Will personally and you are correct he is an awsome young roper with a bright future i saw this rope can at a rodeo i was fighting bulls at not long after he got it and you did a great job on it i know he was very proud of it. Keep up the good work happy trails

Hey Bruce i know Will personally and you are correct he is an awsome young roper with a bright future i saw this rope can at a rodeo i was fighting bulls at not long after he got it and you did a great job on it i know he was very proud of it. Keep up the good work happy trails

Cowdog,

Thanks for the compliment and letting me know my impressions were correct. I have to say that in the last year I have dealt with a bunch of good young cowboys and cowgirls. The future looks brighter to me than it probably did to the generation before us. God bless you brother for all you do to keep them safer.