Sign in to follow this  
gunter

Pommelbag

I would like to make a pommelbag in the near future at a fair of old trades, so I was thinking to myself to adapt a pattern of saddlebags, but it doenst count up deadsubject.gif . How do I start then?

I would like to make a pommelbag in the near future at a fair of old trades, so I was thinking to myself to adapt a pattern of saddlebags, but it doenst count up deadsubject.gif . How do I start then?

Maybe you could just look at a pattern, then draw your own? Tandy sells patterns.

Maybe you could just look at a pattern, then draw your own? Tandy sells patterns.

Hilly,

tried that, didn't work out, doing something wrong.

I've got the tandy patterns.

thanks Though.

Gunter

Let me check when I get home and see if I have a pattern for you. Did you google the image you are looking for? Might be an idea until someone else get back to you. You also have the option to conduct a search by looking at the top right corner and type in what you are looking for. One or two words always works for me. "pommel bag" or "pommel pattern" or "saddle bag."

Good luck.

Hello

I have always found the ones that fit my saddles best are made so that the top of the bags are at a 90 degree angle to each other, when you lay them flat on a table.

If the piece in the middle that joins the bags is too straight, the bags just dont hang nice at all.

Also, dont forget to put on some dees or some method to tie the bottom of the bags down. Keeps em from flopping around or comming off.

hope this helps

Jan smile.gif

Edited by Janice

I don't know if this will help, but at least you can get an idea about where to start. What I did was make a smaller copy of her saddle bags. Then I made the horn piece. The horn hole is actually an oval. The bags( canteenas) aren't at 90 degree angles. At 90 degrees they set way forward into the reins area. This is my own pattern but it's not to hard to make your own. I used paper files to make the pattern and then cut out the leather to match. My work isn't as good as some, but it always seems to work just fine. I like useful things.

0103001428b.jpg

post-11406-126517883522_thumb.jpg

Gunter,

These were made to specs from the ones used in the 1800s. And yes I have a pattern and detailed instructions.

Holler at me,

Jim

Pommel.jpg

Pommel Open.jpg

post-141-126520945355_thumb.jpg

post-141-126520946648_thumb.jpg

I don't know if this will help, but at least you can get an idea about where to start. What I did was make a smaller copy of her saddle bags. Then I made the horn piece. The horn hole is actually an oval. The bags( canteenas) aren't at 90 degree angles. At 90 degrees they set way forward into the reins area. This is my own pattern but it's not to hard to make your own. I used paper files to make the pattern and then cut out the leather to match. My work isn't as good as some, but it always seems to work just fine. I like useful things.

You really underestimate your skill level and artistic eye!!

NICE Job.