Sign in to follow this  
howardb

What is this thing?

Well, I think I know what it is, and have fuddled my way on how to use it. Other than 3D stamps & letter stamps, what can I use it for? I had great fun stamping scout emblems on wet leather last night, but there has to be MORE...

IMG_2951a.jpg

Where can I get tools to fit on this thing?

I got a set of small adapters, and I'm not sure what to do with those. The big adapter fit in the bore of the ram and the 4 finger stamp presser thingy pressed onto the flange of the big adapter. They are now one with each other. So I may need another big adapter.

There's a belt tip cutter. Not sure how to use that other than line it up and yank the handle.

So any tips, tricks, etc on this beast? I almost let Carol put it up for sale and then I used it once. I liked it and went out for bolts...

Brent

post-5266-1200101074_thumb.jpg

Kate,

You are correct. It was designed to be used with the Tandy 3-D and Letter stamps and sets. When I bought mine, I also bought the Snap-in Ram foot (#32426-00) This allows one to snap on the Heavy Duty Ramfoot (#8198 it has the four prongs on it). The concept of it is to allow one to get a constant impression depth on large stamps along a large pattern, e.g. a name on a belt. The large center section is actually threaded at what looks like a hex nut just below the lowest pivot bolt. The two metal pieces at the back allows the user to set bottom one for the leather alignment and the upper for the stamp alignment. That way the letters in the name or a matched to the edge.

I think at one time they made attachments that allowed you to set snaps and rivets etc. with it too, but I don't think they are still available.

Well, I think I know what it is, and have fuddled my way on how to use it. Other than 3D stamps & letter stamps, what can I use it for? I had great fun stamping scout emblems on wet leather last night, but there has to be MORE...

So any tips, tricks, etc on this beast?

I only have one tip that is to cut a set of three or four leather strips to sit, one on the other, on the machine's platform. These will enable to to adjust the height of your work really quickly without making any mechanical adjustments to the machine.

Let me explain: Despite their apparent uniformity, some of the Tandy 3D stamps are slighly different height to others - they can vary as much as 4mm in my experience. If you set the machine up to fit one and then try to use another it may not make a good impression or it may dig in too deep. However, If you set the work up on the pads then it is a simple matter to add another pad if the work is too low or take one away if it is too high.

If this doesn't make sense I'll gladly add a picture of my own embossing machine setup.

Other than that I think the machine is great. I would love to get a few accessories but they don't seem to be available here in the UK. If anyone has anything they want to sell on then please PM me as I am keen to pay cash - or PayPal!

that Machine is also great for crackin Pecans ......... :clapping::specool::crazy::rofl:

Edited by Luke Hatley