Lobo

Most Unusual Holster Requests?

From time to time I receive unusual requests, some of which result in interesting projects and some of which are simply amusing. I thought it might be interesting if we shared some of our experiences.

Here are a few that I have dealt with:

Request: Convertible holster for strong-side and cross-draw, inside the waistband and outside the waistband.

Response: This may be possible to do, but I don't think the resulting holster would serve any of the intended purposes very well.

Request: Female officer who likes to dress well requested matching holster, belt, mag pouch sets in three colors (all for the same weapon) so she could coordinate with her wardrobe.

Response: Completed the order. This one was easy.

Request: Absolutely ancient S.D. Myres Saddlery holster (probably made by Tio Sam himself) with the stitching falling apart. Leather still in good condition. Could I restitch it?

Response: Done, using waxed linen thread, took about an hour to saddle-stitch it. Looked great.

Request: Federal agency receiving new pistols in three weeks, wanted 17 identical holsters with matching mag pouches delivered in time for issue with the new pistols.

Response: Completed and delivered in two weeks. Six follow-up orders for other products from individual agents so far.

Request: European agency, using S&W revolvers with German-made speedloaders, wanted holsters with matching pouches for the speedloaders.

Response: Send me one of your speedloaders and I will get it done.

Request: Pancake holster for 2" K-frame S&W; then a week later: change that to a 3" K-frame; then a week later: change that to a 2.5" L-frame; then while the 2.5" L-frame was in production: can I change that to a Glock 23?

Response: Made and delivered the Glock 23 holster, finished the 2.5" L-frame and sold it a couple of weeks later. Same customer has since ordered two more (I think he changes pistols like I change my socks!).

Request: Two dozen holsters, for assorted handguns and in different colors, to display and sell at a gun show.

Response: Sure, here is your price.

Second request: Will you do these on consignment?

Response: No, thank you.

Request: Special operations guy, deploying in a week, wanted one of my holster designs for a 1911-type pistol.

Response: I mailed him my personal holster the next day. So far, three of his friends have ordered similar holsters.

Request: Concealment holster for a Browning Hi Power, no markings on the holster, to be shipped to a post office box address in Tel Aviv, Israel, no name, payment received in cash (US currency).

Response: Done. Filled out the customs declaration with nothing but the address for the recipient's name, no problems.

So, some of these are fun, others are funny, some just make the mind wander a bit.

Tell us about some of yours!

As often as I get one similar to this, I don't guess it would be considered unusual, but I do find it odd.

Customer: "How much do you charge to make a holster?"

Me: "Usually around $40. What type of holster do you want?"

Customer: "I don't know."

Me: "What kind of pistol is it for?"

Customer: "I'm not sure. I think it's a thirty something."

I'm not a very good salesman I guess.

I've a friend who runs a gun store. I'm having fair luck just making what suits my fancy, and taking it to him to sell. He makes $10 each, and seems very happy.

Here are a few that I have dealt with:

Request: Convertible holster for strong-side and cross-draw, inside the waistband and outside the waistband.

Response: This may be possible to do, but I don't think the resulting holster would serve any of the intended purposes very well.

That style/design is the most popular holster we sell to our customers - a few thousand over the last 2.5 years to be exact. Have not had one dissatisfied customer in it's ability to function as designed/advertised. The skill to design such a holster is easier for some than others I guess.

Edited by K-Man

Kinda like a fish/ski boat. It doesn't do either very well.

Kinda like a fish/ski boat. It doesn't do either very well.

Why do you say that? What are you basing that opinion on?

I have no idea how this one will look, but the holster and knife sheath will be made together..... wish me luck.

I had a request for a pocket holster for a Glock 19 with a laser site/light. I didn't have the actual laser so I frabricated one out of wood .

The customer loved the holster. I quess he had some good sized pockets.

IWB for a four inch S&W 500. I said I would do it, but not for my normal IWB price. He didn't want to pay the difference so I didn't make it. It's too bad though, it would have been fun.

Well, some good laughs so far. K-man is always good for a chuckle or two, isn't he?

Keep them coming!

Here's one that I remember. A guy called me and wanted to know if I "refinished" leather things. I told him it depends on what it is. He told me he had an old, old bible and cover that was in his family for over 100 years. I told him that I really didn't want to attempt that, but he insisted on it. He brought the bible to me and I just set there in awe looking. This cover was brittle and coming to pieces. I told him again I was too scared of making it worse, but he wanted me to try no matter what. It took better than a week to do this. I used 2-3 oz, stitched around this new piece of leather, dressing it up, then carefully glued to the old leather. I had to do a little at a time. I was really worried about the outcome, but he was happy as a lark with it. But for me, never again!

Had a request for a "Bra Holster." That's right - a Bra Holster . . . .

My question: Is it for a pair of 38s?

Her answer: No, just a 32.

Had a request for a double shoulder rig that held the .44 Magnum pistols up-side down and secured with bicycle springs.

My question: How much life insurance do currently have?

His question: Will you make them?

My second question: Are you out of your freaking mind?!!!!!

I like the Tel Aviv High Power, sounds serious.

Why do you say that? What are you basing that opinion on?

Perhaps I should retract my statement, as I've not owned one of your holsters. I base my opinion on the fact that I've yet to see a dual purpose anything that served either purpose as well as a task specific item. Perhaps your holster is the exception. If so, I stand in awe of you.

Perhaps I should retract my statement, as I've not owned one of your holsters. I base my opinion on the fact that I've yet to see a dual purpose anything that served either purpose as well as a task specific item. Perhaps your holster is the exception. If so, I stand in awe of you.

Your last statement is a bit over the top, don't you think? We just happen to have developed the design that has been proven to work. I'm certain that if our designs were off-base, then we would not have had the success that we have had with that particular holster or any of our others. http://www.kdholsters.com/

Lobo - I'm glad you find my comments give you a chuckle.

Thanks for the link. You do have some interesting designs. It also appears you do quality work. I don't think my last statement was over the top. I made the earlier statement not having seen your work and shouldn't have. Your dual carry designs may well work as well as a task specific designed holster. I can at least say your eagle defender is a much more attractive looking holster than any of the others. You are correct, however, that I am unable to make a judgement on the useability of the other styles.

Edited by gregintenn

wtf.gif This made me think of this thread and I wanted to share. I made a holster for a model 29 Smith with an 8 3/8 barrel. I think it is large and gaudy, but the guy I made if for couldn't be happier. He takes it home and his wife asked where he bought it. He tells her Greg made it. As I am legendary in the slacker world in my hometown, she said "yeah, right! Where'd you really get it?" After some convincing, she told him to ask if I could recover her sofa in leather in the exact same color and finish as his holster! My reply? "I don;t think so."

My contribution to the discussion had to be the one I made about 18 mos ago for a local squirrel hunter.

He bought a brand new stainless Ruger .22 auto with a long fluted barrel and some kind of green glow front sight that probably stood up about 3/8 of an inch on the barrel.

Plus: he wanted his initials on the side, . . . a retainer strap, . . . and he wanted it to allow him to put a scope on the gun.

I did it, . . . but it wasn't easy. The front was open all the way down to the front sight, . . . you pointed the weapon back behind you about 45 degrees, . . . stuck the muzzle down into the bottom of the holster, . . . rotated it back to set on the trigger guard in the holster, . . . and snapped it in place with the retention strap that went over the grip.

My stitcher would not sew the thing (too thick to sew), . . . but it did at least make the holes, . . . so hand stitching it wasn't too bad.

No, . . . I didn't charge him enough no.gif

May God bless,

Dwight

I've had several requests for holsters for scoped revolvers. I always politely decline. I can't make one that would be comfortable. If I make what they ask for, they won't like it, and will tell their friends how the holster is not acceptable. That would not be good advertisement.