ruthless

How To I Remove The "coating" From A Solid Brass Buckle

The 1.5" buckles we're using on our collars have a coating on them which is preventing them from oxidising. All the other bits are aging nicely, but the buckle stands out because it stays looking new and shiny. We have a liquid for dipping things in to oxidise them, but the buckle doesn't react. It seems to be coated with something. Sanding it off is an option, but I'd rather not have to! Would paint stripper work? Or something else?

I don't have a picture of the buckle handy, but it's the 718 SB 1.5" on p82 of the Weaver catalog.

http://tombanwell.blogspot.com/2009_10_01_archive.html

Tom Banwell's blog had an artical about aging stuff

Maybe that will help you

I found olut by accident that the lacquer can be removed using standard metal polish - either the wadding type or liquid (Brasso over here). It doesn't age them but at least allows the metal to be exposed to whatever ageing process you use. It is time-consuming, however, and the rock tumbler idea sounds a lot more efficient.

Gary

Some brass polishes do have solvents in them that will dissolve lacquer, but not all ... and even if they do, it's a tedious job. And you can't get the lacquer out of crevices very well.

We use tumblers in our business for polishing brass, but we always remove coatings (paint, varnish, lacquer, etc.) with a solvent before tumbling. Tumbling to remove a coating can take forever, and it won't get the coating off in protected areas, leaving you with a rather ugly piebald buckle -- part shiny, part dull.

My solution: Try a quick dip in lacquer thinner -- 2-5 minute soak, then rub dry with a soft cloth. That usually does the trick for me. Be careful -- lacquer thinner is highly flammable and a health hazard.

If that doesn't work, then try a liquid paint or varnish remover -- look for the water-thin kind. Avoid the gloppy thick type of remover, unless the product is labeled that it can be rinsed clean with water. The kinds that don't rinse clean have waxes and such in them to make the product thick and gloppy. This gunk will remain inside the rollers, etc. -- very hard to remove.

--DeeAnna

The 1.5" buckles we're using on our collars have a coating on them which is preventing them from oxidising. All the other bits are aging nicely, but the buckle stands out because it stays looking new and shiny. We have a liquid for dipping things in to oxidise them, but the buckle doesn't react. It seems to be coated with something. Sanding it off is an option, but I'd rather not have to! Would paint stripper work? Or something else?

I don't have a picture of the buckle handy, but it's the 718 SB 1.5" on p82 of the Weaver catalog.

Hope this is helpful...

In the production of these buckes, the stages generally are: 1) sand casting 2) tumbling (when the buckles were "sold" in this condition, it was generally referred to as a "rolled" buckle 3) hand-polishing 4) lacquer coating

You can ask your vendor if the buckle is available "rolled" only. It should be much less expensive. If you need to remove the lacauer, I would try acetone. If you want to make the buckle look aged, then it would have to be tumbled afterwards, and allowed to air oxidize.... You are un-doing all of the processes for which you have already paid when you purchased the lacquered and highly polished buckles originally. Typically, these additional steps doubled the cost of the buckles.

Happy Holidays,

Steven Siegel