was wondering if anyone uses resolene as a holster finish. i am using a drum dyed black W/C and have issues with bag kote not sealing properly. was wondering if resolene has problems cracking or coming off.

Tony

Tony,

I've heard of some guys using the resolene as a top coat finish. I have never tried it though. I have a side of black W/C and I don't have any problems with the bag kote sealing the leather. So far it has worked great for me. I switched from tan kote to bag kote a while back. What application method do you use?

Frank

Also make sure you clean or use deglazer prior to adding your finish.

charlie

Edit- mulit coat with thin even applications of bag coat.

Edited by iwannabeacowboy

i apply the bag kote with a slightly damp sponge. but i do multiple coats. would a saddle soap work as a cleaner? and at what point would i apply it?

Tony

I've never used deglazer and everything seems to come out just fine. I use the Chuck Burrows method: 20-25% distilled water and 75-80% bag kote in a spray bottle. Shake it up well and spray it liberally on a rag and rub it in. It is a trial and error type thing. Try it on some scrap and see if that works better for you.

Frank

I've never used deglazer and everything seems to come out just fine. I use the Chuck Burrows method: 20-25% distilled water and 75-80% bag kote in a spray bottle. Shake it up well and spray it liberally on a rag and rub it in. It is a trial and error type thing. Try it on some scrap and see if that works better for you.

Frank

will give it a try, thanks Frank

Tony

was wondering if anyone uses resolene as a holster finish. i am using a drum dyed black W/C and have issues with bag kote not sealing properly. was wondering if resolene has problems cracking or coming off.

Tony

I use several very light coats of Resolene on all of my holsters with good results. It seems to seal the leather very well. I haven't been doing leather work very long, but am carrying daily a holster that I made several months ago and it still looks as good as it did the day I made it. I have only worked with regular veg tanned leather. Never tried it on drum dyed, so I don't know if that would make a difference.

I use several very light coats of Resolene on all of my holsters with good results. It seems to seal the leather very well. I haven't been doing leather work very long, but am carrying daily a holster that I made several months ago and it still looks as good as it did the day I made it. I have only worked with regular veg tanned leather. Never tried it on drum dyed, so I don't know if that would make a difference.

thanks Rob, how do you apply it?

Tony

Tony

I wet a sponge and wring it out well. Hold the sponge over the top of the bottle and shake once to get a very small amount on the sponge. Apply a very light coat to the item, rubbing the Resolene in and getting rid of any bubbles, then let dry. Repeat until you are happy with the look. I usually do three coats. Using this manner, I can get a good seal without getting a "plastic" look to the leather. The key (in my little bit of experience) is to apply multiple very light coats and let dry well in between.

Tony

Take a small bottle, . . . mix a 1 to 1 ratio of Resolene and tap water, . . . shake it enough to get the two well mixed.

Then take a small, . . . 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch bristle brush (NOT Nylon or other man made stuff), . . . you want to liberally coat the whole thing, starting with whatever parts of the holster have the flesh side open. I usually start in the inside of my holsters, especially if they are unlined.

Coat it liberally, using a back and forth motion, up and down, side to side, cross hatching, etc. You'll know you have enough on when you begin to create a small froth on the top of the holster. Quit adding at that point and brush, brush, brush, . . . until there are no more bubbles.

Check the item for streaks or drips and especially go back and coat all edges before you quit. Hang it up to dry over low heat or (I prefer this) hang it in a window where the sun will hit it.

Just how I do it, . . . works for me. You can see examples at www.dwightsgunleather.com

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight