WillGhormley

Details On Making Russell Crowe's "hand Of God" Rig From "3:10 To Yuma"

many thanks from Italy

Well truth be told, actually closer to a pterodactl in size if not texture smile.gif

Thanks for the laugh. That just made my day.

Since this thread got resurrected, I decided to ask a question I had when I visited the Ghormley site.

He mentioned a "rust barrel'. Can you turn leather black with a barrel of rusty water, without it being vinegaroon?

Since this thread got resurrected, I decided to ask a question I had when I visited the Ghormley site.

He mentioned a "rust barrel'. Can you turn leather black with a barrel of rusty water, without it being vinegaroon?

I was wondering the same thing. Maybe the Vinegar just acts as an acid to dissolve the iron faster. If left in a barrel of water it would dissolve the iron but not as fast as the vinegar. I might have to set up a plastic bucket and try it with just water and let it sit for a few months.

Hopefully Will sees this and can explain.

Michael

If you look at the pictures in his article you can see that the rust barrel doesn't turn the leather black like vinagaroon. It discolors the leather, sort of distressing it. Remember that Will is trying to make the holster look like it's been used hard for many years.

Dan

If you look at the pictures in his article you can see that the rust barrel doesn't turn the leather black like vinagaroon. It discolors the leather, sort of distressing it. Remember that Will is trying to make the holster look like it's been used hard for many years.

Dan

Will does say this, though: "The leather has a light gray coloration at this point. If I had left it in longer, it would turn a deep purple black that will never rub off on clothing. However, since I want the illusion of age, I took it out early."

I guess I'll have to put some iron in a plastic bucket and give it a try.

Wow. Seriously wow. Makes me realize I am making things at a MAYBE 10% skill level - but excites me to know JUST HOW much more there is for me to have fun learning and getting better !

Thanks you !