Todd C

Needle Hits Feed Dog

I'm new to sewing machines and I have a used Consew 225 or 226 (I think it's a 226 but the model plate isn't on the machine). The best resource I've found so far is an article on the internet that shows me how to time and troubleshoot the Singer 111 W 155, Juki LU-562 and Consew 225. I'm able to get it to sew (technically speaking) but I think something is still out of alignment or not timed correctly.

The perceived issue:

The needle hits in a groove just before the hole in the feed dog.

My observations:

The needle bends very slightly and then slides into the hole. I can't tell if the feed dog was designed with that groove as its not completely symmetrical (due to what I assume is years of use). The needle that came with the machine is blunted somewhat (no surprise there) at the tip because it hits this groove every time.

What I've tried:

Raising and lowering the "feed lifting cam fork".

Looked for a way to move the needle and/or needle bar forward (haven't found a way to do that yet).

What I need:

Your generous and insightful help from all of the wisdom you've collected over the years.

Thanks,

Todd

I just saw some pictures of similar feed dogs on ebay and it looks like there is supposed to be a groove there (although my groove is larger from repeated use). I just don't know if that is a safety measure so that the needle will slip in if the timing is off or if it's supposed to hit the groove. If it's supposed to hit the groove then I think mine is hitting the groove a little too early and blunting the tip of the needle. Please let me know if I'm on the right track and if you know of a way adjust this.

Thanks,

Todd

Todd,

It should be in the center of the groove & the feed dogs are made with either a round hole or an oblong one-the most common.So check to see if the screws are loose if not the you need to try to figure out what moved so does the feed dog come up & when it goes back & starts to go down is it the same distance or gap from the plate to the feed dog?

Bob

I just saw some pictures of similar feed dogs on ebay and it looks like there is supposed to be a groove there (although my groove is larger from repeated use). I just don't know if that is a safety measure so that the needle will slip in if the timing is off or if it's supposed to hit the groove. If it's supposed to hit the groove then I think mine is hitting the groove a little too early and blunting the tip of the needle. Please let me know if I'm on the right track and if you know of a way adjust this.

Thanks,

Todd

Todd;

The feed dog is mounted on a plate with two screws. You can loosen those screws and reposition the feed dog slightly, hopefully until the needle is in the dead center on the downstroke. If the feed dog plate cannot be moved to place the needle in the center (f.b,l,r), try loosening the screws on the fork mounted to the rear axle, that moves the feed dog forward and backward. Reposition it accordingly (f,b,l,r) and lock it down.

The height of the feed dog is controlled by a separate fork on the front axle. By moving it up or down you will raise or lower the maximum protrusion.

If the rear fork cannot adjust the feed dog to center it, the gears driving the rear axle might be misaligned, toward the bottom rear of the machine.

I recommend that you use a new needle when you make your adjustments.

CD in Oklahoma

thayerrags.com

Gregg at Keystone Sewing had the answer. Thank you everyone for your replies.

http://keysew.com/De...ew_225_rear.jpg

Thanks,

Todd

Glad to be of service.

So what did you do to fix the problem? I'm having the same issue.