A few days ago a friend dropped off an old Dakota lock-back knife in a beat up pouch with the request that I put a new belt loop on it. A couple of days later the temp had gotten to 90+ degrees, the desert wind was around 35 mph, and I was bored. There wasn't anything that had to be done that couldn't wait, so I decided to hide out, clean up my little shop and just fiddle around. The shop was reasonably comfy, the refer was stocked with 'adult beverages', and the radio was tuned to the local CW station. I moved a couple of messes from one place to another, partook of liquid refreshment, moved some more stuff, found a 1960's vintage 'American Rifleman' mag, sat and read a bit while enjoying another cool one, found my (lost) Lansky sharpener, sharpened the friend's (dull) Dakota, threw away the rotted leather pouch for the lock-back, fiddled some more then....... realized what I had done! I thrashed thru the trash and couldn't find it. Went to the scrap bin and messed with different pieces of leather and decided that I had to form up a new pouch. Messed for a while trying to come up with a decent pattern for the thing, had another cool one, messed with the leather and finally got something put together. Looked at the clock and found that it was time to scorch something for dinner. Gave up for the evening. The morning strikes, and out to the shop I go to find out what sort of thing I had put together the night before. I guess that it came out o.k. because my friend was tickled......by the way, the old pouch was perched on the end of my bench...behind one of the messes I had previously moved. It wasn't a good day.

lokbak1.jpg

lokbak2.jpg

Edited by katsass

No wonder your friend is tickled. The knife is sharp and you made a fancy new pouch for it. It's fun to make things for people who appreciate them. Doesn't sound like such a bad day except the scorched supper part.

Johanna

Sounds like you just made your friend happy, got to do some extra leatherworking and have a mostly clean shop...sounds like a good day to me. ;)

Sounds like you just made your friend happy, got to do some extra leatherworking and have a mostly clean shop...sounds like a good day to me. wink.gif

Well, He's happy, my shop just has the same areas of mess......... in new positions, I rushed the job, he got a new pouch for free, and too much of my Negra Modelo is gone! Plus, waking up in the morning wondering just what I had put together, and finding the discarded old pouch that was sitting on the bench all the time. Being slightly pessimistic, I'm betting that he'll cut himself on the knife and blame me....... Mike

Edited by katsass

You ....

CLEANED

the shop?!?!?!? What were you thinking?!?!?!?!?!?

Nice looking knife rig.

Nice job Mike.Consider yourself lucky,try keeping a knife/leather shop clean.My dust has dust.Dave

Thank you all for the kind words. The problem was that I didn't have the inclination to do any work that day, then came an overwhelming perceived obligation to replace an item I felt that I had lost. I rushed to complete it, and finally felt that I had probably consumed a little too much of my dark brew which worried me in that it may not be quite the product I thought it was on the previous day. And my shop still isn't clean. Mike

I feel your frustration! Then to find the original piece at the end...Argh!