cece

Singer 236 W 100

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased a used Singer 236 w 100. I was able to download the manual online, but does ANYONE know anything about this machine? Is this something that can assist me with my leather work? I just had it serviced with new belts, the the gentleman that serviced my machine really didn't know too much about it. I order some 128 x 3 size 16 and 128 x 13 size 16 needles on Ebay (I hope those are the correct size) I guess what I want to know is, can this machine use the heavy nylon thick thread, I believe it is a size 204 or 270 (please bare with me, I am still very new to this as far as sewing machines..think about this, I purchased a bar tack machine in an auction thinking it was a cylinder arm machine, that I am stuck with) if so, what size needle would I use, and what would be the correct size of thread. I really like the look of the thick thread that you would see on commercial leather pouches or the stitching on shoes. I feel I sound foolish, but can somebody HELP ME!! Your input is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

CeCe

Hi CeCe,

I just purchased a used Singer 236 w 100. I was able to download the manual online, but does ANYONE know anything about this machine? Is this something that can assist me with my leather work? I just had it serviced with new belts, the the gentleman that serviced my machine really didn't know too much about it. I order some 128 x 3 size 16 and 128 x 13 size 16 needles on Ebay (I hope those are the correct size) I guess what I want to know is, can this machine use the heavy nylon thick thread, I believe it is a size 204 or 270 (please bare with me, I am still very new to this as far as sewing machines..think about this, I purchased a bar tack machine in an auction thinking it was a cylinder arm machine, that I am stuck with) if so, what size needle would I use, and what would be the correct size of thread. I really like the look of the thick thread that you would see on commercial leather pouches or the stitching on shoes. I feel I sound foolish, but can somebody HELP ME!! Your input is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

These are neat machines. I have two of them myself, a W100 and a W111, which has an inbuilt lining trimmer. I haven't yet got mine going though.

Needle sizes are listed in the manual as 128x10 up to 128x24. 128 is the Singer needle class, and the 10 or 24 refer to the size. Welcome to the wonderful world of needle classes and systems. Have a search on this board for "needle size" and "needle system" and you'll turn up some good info. I found a really good chart with conversions between various system designations but I can't find it right now.

I'm afraid I don't know off the top of my head what the largest it will take is, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly who does. I'm still getting my head around thread sizing myself.

There is a manual available at: http://parts.singerc...anuals/236W.pdf that will get you started. The text is there but the pictures are washed out, it's better than nothing. I have an original manual at home but I just moved house so I'm not sure where it is right now. I'll scan it when I can.

These machines have a bit of a reputation for having two speeds, off, and flat-out. You can get spray on belt conditioner from an auto store that will give the belts grip and allow you to run the machine more slowly.

Good luck!

Hello Everyone,

CeCe

You have a post bed machine, probably with a roller foot and single row feed dog. It was designed to sew the uppers on shoes and moccasins and to make hats (That is what I used mine for, years ago). These machines will handle #69 nylon thread and maybe #92, but probably nothing larger. Size 18 needles with leather points are best for this machine, with #69 thread. Number 16 needles will also feed #69 nylon thread.

The bartacker is designed to use #46 thread with a #12 - 14 needle, or #69 nylon thread also, with a #16 - 18 needle. It is used to tack velcro and webbing strips onto vinyl or cloth, or shoe straps.

Neither of those machines can sew with #207 thread! The needle size required for that size thread is #24 or #25, neither of which will fit into those machines.

If the post machine is in good working condition and you keep it oiled, it will sew soft leather hats, pouches and shoe uppers, up to maybe 3/16" thickness, but only with #92 thread, maximum.

I believe that the post machine uses series DBx1/1728 needles, which are the same ones used in most straight stitch industrial garment sewing machines. The are available in both ball and leatherpoint, in packs of 10 or boxes of 100, at reasonable prices, in sizes up to about #20.

Hi Wizcrafts,

I recently had this same model donated by a friend. It is is decent shape, needs some new belts, a table and a motor. I have a few questions that I would love to get your opinion on.

I want to sew bags, guitar straps, journal covers. I enjoy working with Veg tan and latigo. Am I correct to assume that this is not the machine for me?

It sounds like it would be too fast, and not provide the control or punch for my materials.

What would be a good first machine? I have read some of your posts, I will continue to read.

Thank you for your time,

Chris

Hi

I also have one of these machines and the feed grips the little material from underneath have stopped moving so the material is not being advanced.

Does anyone know how to fix this or what to look at or even if it is possible to do so myself, as I live in the middle of nowhere so a mechanic is not an option.

Johanne

Interesting, not too often does a model pop up that I've never heard of or seen before, but not too far fetched either. I've attached a bit more information that I have on this class, hope this helps.

236WClass.pdf

Hi

I went to Singer home page and they have a parts manual as well as a operating manual you can download.

Using a combination of the two I got myself out of strife.

The parts manual was especially helpful as it showed how everything went together.

It was all under the industrial machine section on the singer home page.

Johanne