BigAlC

Ceramic Swivel Knife Blades

Hi All,

I am considering trying out a ceramic blade for my swivel knife. I would be interested in the views of members who have tried or even considered them.

We all search for the best blade but we all, certainly me, do not have unlimited budgets.

I look forward to your comments.

Regards to all

absolutely love mine. I have a Henley and actually prefer the ceramic for most work.

Get a 1/4" angle for most all work though.

pete

I use a ceramic blade on many things and really like it!

I still use steel blades, just whatever mood I'm in at the time.

I fought with steel blades for some time, gave up and bought a ceramic blade. The first time I put it to leather, it was ALMOST like the skies opened and the angels started singing!! I don't think I'll be using anything else.

Sorry, I don't like the ceramic blades at all- I feel they have too much drag for my tastes. My own preference is an angle ruby blade, but I just got 2 henleys the other day & I must say, they are superb blades. You will find that some blades will work better in a certain piece of leather & the same blades may will work worse in another. It's all about matching what blade goes in best in a particular piece of leather. Having said that, I still don't care for ceramics. I have a beader (2 line) ceramic blade & also have used various other ceramics... IMHO, they still suck because of their inherent drag. (Plus, if, btw, you happen to drop a ceramic, you've just thrown away $30- they're very brittle & will break easily).

Russ, do you have a source for new ruby blades? I bought a box of old tools that had one in it,and I really like it, but was advised on another forum that the ruby was prone to falling out, so I stopped using it. I have to agree that it cuts alot nicer than ceramic, but to me ceramic is the way to go, since I can't sharpen steel blades worth a damn.

While ceramics do run you the risk of breaking if you drop them, and I wasn't thrilled with the beader ceramic I have, I would overall recommend them. Like Timd1159, my experience with steel was not the greatest (I'm also terrible at sharpening), and I have rarely gone back after using ceramic.

I loved ceramic blades for certain leathers. They seem to cut the harder leather much easier. Now I have two Henleys and OMG. Fantastic blades. I'll probably never use ceramic again.

Marlon

Russ, do you have a source for new ruby blades? I bought a box of old tools that had one in it,and I really like it, but was advised on another forum that the ruby was prone to falling out, so I stopped using it. I have to agree that it cuts alot nicer than ceramic, but to me ceramic is the way to go, since I can't sharpen steel blades worth a damn.

Tim, no, unfortunately, I don't have a source for rubies. I bought my first back in the '70s & the second I got on ebay along with 3 knives & 2 (nicely sharpened) steel blades. IF, perchance, the ruby should fall out, I'm sure a jewler could align it perfectly & epoxy it back in. Btw, I only have angle rubies- I've never tried the ruby straight. Do your mining for rubies (the blades, that is,) on ebay.

russ

I agree that rubies are superb. I also found mine on e-bay. I have both angles and straights. My father and I Both prefer the rubies.

Edited by JohnsCustomLeather

I started with Tandy blades, found that a well sharpened one was about as good as a ceramic one. I used ceramic for a while till I was demonstrated the differance betreen the ceramic and a good steel blade. The drag differance was unmistakable. I now have a Henly blade. I almost cut through the leather the first time I used it the differance was so great.

I have never used a Ruby blade. My Dad has been doing leatherwork for 50 years. He told me he got a ruby blade once long ago. He loved it till it got dull and he thought he could sharpen it, bad mistake.

I started with Tandy blades, found that a well sharpened one was about as good as a ceramic one. I used ceramic for a while till I was demonstrated the differance betreen the ceramic and a good steel blade. The drag differance was unmistakable. I now have a Henly blade. I almost cut through the leather the first time I used it the differance was so great.

I have never used a Ruby blade. My Dad has been doing leatherwork for 50 years. He told me he got a ruby blade once long ago. He loved it till it got dull and he thought he could sharpen it, bad mistake.

Ruby got dull?? I didn't think they got dull. Hmmm. I have one as well (ebay). It says on the instruction sheet that the only time it needs regrinding is if it gets damaged. It also says stropping is not needed, i do anyway, but it says it's not necessary.

Marlon

Many Thanks for all your comments.

I suppose that the result is 'Suck it and see'.

It would be great to try all these blades but, there always is a but, I live in a remote place in a forest in the north of England. If you could see the additional charges I face from customs and excise, boy, would your eyes water. This is along with gas at $9.80 for a US gallon.

My wife and I are off to Tucson in 10 days. We will be hitting the local Tandy store. I suppose that I will have to try the ceramic blades and come to my own conclusion.

Your comments have been most welcome.

Keep Karving.

Alan

all I know is that I've never had a ceramic blade drag because it was ceramic. I see lots of folks say that but I can only attest it to:

1- my blade is 20+years old and it had a better angle than some now made

2-the quality of leather is better and I'm very confident in my casing ability(when to cut it)

3-I can't comment on stropping because when I started in the 70's I was self taught and had never heard of rouge or sharpening. I just cut with it and if it dragged I cut harder or re-wet the piece!

The Henley is really sharp but the ceramic cuts like butter. Even better now that I strop it occasionally!!

ps- maybe I don't appreciate drag as my FIRST blade for 10+ years was a chipped ruby blade! I disn't know the difference!

Edited by pete

I have two ruby blades on ebay right now, just search keywords " ruby blades".

They came with a lot of tools I recently purchased. i prefer my steel angle blade. I did try my friends ceramic blade and think I will be buying one after selling the rubys. It cut thru the leather like a hot knife in butter.

Pam

i have a ceramic blade but, never use it anymore.

i never had a problem with it just, don't use it anymore.

i also have 1/4" angle ruby blade that i never use.

Hi All,

I bit the bullet and bought the Stohlman swivel knife and a set of Tandy ceramic blades.

At first I was doubtful as they were perhaps a wee bit better but no great improvement. They I gave them a serious stropping. What a difference that made. They are a treat to use. I even appreciate the white color as it helps with reflected light when doing detail.

Expensive but, to me, worth it. It was the stroping with a heavily charged strop that produced the noticable change.

Hope that this helps.

Al