chouinardragon

Do You Heat Your Creaser When You Make Creases?

Hi,

I was wondering if everyone heats creaser when making a decorative crease on leather.

What adjustable creaser do you recommend? Joseph Dixon?

Thank you.

Chris

Hi,

I was wondering if everyone heats creaser when making a decorative crease on leather.

What adjustable creaser do you recommend? Joseph Dixon?

Thank you.

Chris

I don't.

ferg

I never have, but if you can show me why I would want to I just might.

Yes, i do heat my edge creaser, not all the time but on special projects. It makes a

fine looking edge crease.

You will have to experement on the right amount of heat. I use a Heat Gun to heat the edger.

Chris,

A lot of the old timers heated their creasers. There were special lamps used under a ring or rack to heat them. I have seen the lamps once in a while on Ebay, and think there are some in the Barnsley tools being sold now.

I have tried it and it gives a nice burnished effect with minimal effort. When you get the temperature right, they just glide and give a really nice darkened line. The problem was that I only had one creaser I was using it as a sacrifical tool in case the heat/time equation didn't work out so well. It took a little while to reheat and get back to temp and that slowed things down. My old buddy said they used to have a couple going at a time, and it wasn't a problem.

I heat my creaser when I'm working with bridle leather. IMHO it isn't so important with veg tan. The bridle leather is very 'waxy' and the heat helps the creaser to glide over the surface. I have a gas burner circa 1930 attached to a propane bottle that I use for all sorts of hot work (including melting lead for cutting blocks). It is also good for hot embossing skiver for tabletops and desks too.

best wishes,

Ray

If I'm creasing a single line I usually don't heat them, but when I'm boxing out keepers I always heat a double line creaser, it helps give it some shape and the double lines look real sharp. I use a torch on my bench, but you have to be careful not to scorch the leather

Well there you have it! I learned my "something new " for the day, now I can be stupid the rest of the day and not feel so bad!!!!evillaugh.gif

Bob