seveneves

Lewis Roper On A Sonny Felkins Tree. #2

post-13207-006315500 1283055541_thumb.jppost-13207-073343300 1283055526_thumb.jppost-13207-035790500 1283055515_thumb.jp
This is my second saddle and I learned so much even from this one. I can't wait to get started on my next one. Edited by seveneves

post-13207-006315500 1283055541_thumb.jppost-13207-073343300 1283055526_thumb.jppost-13207-035790500 1283055515_thumb.jp

This is my second saddle and I learned so much even from this one. I can't wait to get started on my next one.

You did one a really nice job on it.

Steve

Very interesting pattern, never seen that before. Do you have a close up of the tooling pattern?

Nice saddle!

That saddle looks really nice. But I have to ask. What makes it the type of saddle you call it?

Can you point out the features that make it what you call it?

seveneves

Lewis Roper On A Sonny Felkins Tree

You did one a really nice job on it.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

This was a big improvement over my last saddle. Thanks for the compliment. I think I'm hooked now.

post-13207-010099300 1285298612_thumb.pn

Very interesting pattern, never seen that before. Do you have a close up of the tooling pattern?

Nice saddle!

Thanks Casey. It's a Jeremiah Watt stamp and I just played around with it and came up with this. It was super hard to get it looking even consistent. I sure waisted a lot of leather getting it right. post-13207-065806400 1285298593_thumb.pn

That saddle looks really nice. But I have to ask. What makes it the type of saddle you call it?

Can you point out the features that make it what you call it?

I just call it a lewis roper because that's the kind of tree it's built on. I just call it #2 because it's the second saddle I've built. Sonny Felkins is a tree maker in Southern Utah. I'm not sure if that anwsers your questions but if not let me know.

I just call it a lewis roper because that's the kind of tree it's built on. I just call it #2 because it's the second saddle I've built. Sonny Felkins is a tree maker in Southern Utah. I'm not sure if that anwsers your questions but if not let me know.

Yes it does.

Thanks

Joel

seveneves,

I'm no saddlemaker but I'm impressed with the level of workmanship you achieved on your second saddle. Time to learn to tool it.:clapping: Nice job!

Bobby

seveneves,

I'm no saddlemaker but I'm impressed with the level of workmanship you achieved on your second saddle. Time to learn to tool it.:clapping: Nice job!

Bobby

Thanks would really love to get into carving. Thanks everyone for your nice comments

First off- kudos to you and your 2nd saddle! I've seen folks with their 10th that wasn't as clean and well done.

Secondly, how DID you finally get the stamp to run true? Did you run score lines first? Took me and lot of others here awhile to run a basket stamp well!

Nice work- post your next!!

pete

First off- kudos to you and your 2nd saddle! I've seen folks with their 10th that wasn't as clean and well done.

Secondly, how DID you finally get the stamp to run true? Did you run score lines first? Took me and lot of others here awhile to run a basket stamp well!

Nice work- post your next!!

pete

@Pete

This was a long process for me to get the stamping down right. At first I would score a line but then after a while it would start to warp. So I made a design in Photoshop then I printed it out and pasted it to some vinyl. Then I tool a razor and cut out my pattern which was about 4 inches. Then I laid it out on the cased leather and rubbed the impression into the leather. From there I would simply stamp over top of the light impression. It keeps things straight and true.

post-13207-010099300 1285298612_thumb.pn

Thanks Casey. It's a Jeremiah Watt stamp and I just played around with it and came up with this. It was super hard to get it looking even consistent. I sure waisted a lot of leather getting it right. post-13207-065806400 1285298593_thumb.pn

Thanks for the closeup pictures. Now I can see the tool you used. Also thanks for explaining how you tooled it in a later post.

I'm very impressed and your time and leather spent was well worth it. Nice job.

Jared,

The saddle looks nice.

Talk about deja-vu! In the late 80's, I used AutoCAD to generate some of those vinyl templates but we used a vinyl cutter to cut the masks out. I did this for a lady in the symbolization/masking group who was just starting to do leather work and struggled greatly with geometric stamps and basketweave angles. She struggled with using draftman's triangles and I don't like score lines that show up in your finished work no matter how small. She likewise would warp even her scored lines so we had to come up with another methodology. So this was a standard masking method that we came up with but was applied to leather stamping.

I will see if she still has them and get some pictures. She had me create several for "arrowhead" patterns of various geometric stamps as well as a couple of basketweave stamps that she had.

As shown here masking techniques can be used for etching, templates, airbrushing, sandblasting metal/wood/glass/other materials and so many other things. We have used it for all of these things including bead blasting patterns with glass on plain conchos and monel stirrups.

On another note the Lewis trees are pretty well known in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma region for their roping trees. Lewis Tree Shop

Once again nice work.

Regards,

Ben

Edited by gtwister09

Jared,

The saddle looks nice.

Talk about deja-vu! In the late 80's, I used AutoCAD to generate some of those vinyl templates but we used a vinyl cutter to cut the masks out. I did this for a lady in the symbolization/masking group who was just starting to do leather work and struggled greatly with geometric stamps and basketweave angles. She struggled with using draftman's triangles and I don't like score lines that show up in your finished work no matter how small. She likewise would warp even her scored lines so we had to come up with another methodology. So this was a standard masking method that we came up with but was applied to leather stamping.

I will see if she still has them and get some pictures. She had me create several for "arrowhead" patterns of various geometric stamps as well as a couple of basketweave stamps that she had.

As shown here masking techniques can be used for etching, templates, airbrushing, sandblasting metal/wood/glass/other materials and so many other things. We have used it for all of these things including bead blasting patterns with glass on plain conchos and monel stirrups.

On another note the Lewis trees are pretty well known in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma region for their roping trees. Lewis Tree Shop

Once again nice work.

Regards,

Ben

Wow it's interested to note that great minds think alike! I thought I was the only one. Way to burst my bubble. :) I have a couple other designs that I want to put into practice this really is a good way and keeps things straight.

I'm not sure how you would do with for a basketstamp. The vinyl I used was just stuff my wife makes lettering out of. It's not super heavy but does the job. I just received my next tree in the mail last week. It's a leuallen tree made by Timberline in Vernal Utah I'm building Randy a website in trade for a tree. It looks really nice and has a wood post horn which is a little out of the ordinary for that type of tree.