phlegmaticdog

where do you find patterns?

I was a pretty good hand at leatherworking in the distant past and am now starting again. However, I mostly used kits that included patterns. Now I'm looking to be a little more inventive and creative. Where does one go for ideas for new patterns? Or do you just make them yourselves? I saw patterns in the Tandy store but thought the price seemed a little exorbitant.

Edited by phlegmaticdog

I was a pretty good hand at leatherworking in the distant past and am now starting again. However, I mostly used kits that included patterns. Now I'm looking to be a little more inventive and creative. Where does one go for ideas for new patterns? Or do you just make them yourselves? I saw patterns in the Tandy store but thought the price seemed a little exorbitant.

If you log on to the Tandy Leather Factory home page,you will find,Free,downloadable patterns for various projects. :welcome:

Dave

Join the International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild. There's a section for patterns right on their website.

Edited by Hilly

Look for tattoflash magazines at a well sorted magazine seller. They often have a little note to the usual copyright note that says " free to use on skin". That is so generous. Maybe tattoo flash is not your preference but they often contains stuff you would not expect. Sometimes it's possible to pull to stuff out the designs, like a skull with a victorian scroll, pull out the skull and you have a nice scroll for a portrait.

Lot's of tattooflash on the web too.

Tom

My vote would be for make your own. Patern making is not hard and is really what makes it fun. You just have to trust that you can adn realize that there is some trial and error involved.

David Genadek

I just paid for a 2 yr subscroption to the leather crafters and saddlers journal. every issue has a pull out pattern section. very informative. also a good source for finding suppliers for saddle trees, leather, conchos, and other such things. check them out.

I make them myself using posterboard. If you cut something short you can just duct tape some more on and recut it to proper size. After a bit you get a good feel for leather thickness allowances. If you need it flexible then run it over the edge of the table a few times to break it down and make it more pliable. When making things like knife sheaths, holsters or archery equipment you can tape the pattern together and put it one to determine if it really works. Then flatten it out and your back to your pattern.

I just paid for a 2 yr subscroption to the leather crafters and saddlers journal. every issue has a pull out pattern section. very informative. also a good source for finding suppliers for saddle trees, leather, conchos, and other such things. check them out.

What type of patterns do they normally have? Is it mostly 'western' style items?

cal

I got the impression you were asking about patterns that could be adapted to leather so that you could use your own creativity in designing it. There are alot of types of patterns that lend themselves to that. woodcarving, silver engraving, etc. I also like to go to the library and just check out books about different styles of craftmanship or art, Asian, Celtic, Native American, what ever strikes my interest and find inspiration there. also Dover Publishing carries alot of books with uncopyrighted designs of various styles to use for inspiration.

Most of what is in LCSJ is more traditional stuff, although they have had a few articles on some of the newer ideas in leather work. Are you mainly talking about patterns for leather parts, or artwork patterns?

Kate

Thanks for all the great ideas! Your posts helped me pinpoint exactly what I was looking for; not just patterns that I could copy wholesale into my own work, but rather inspiration and ideas for things I can carve into leather and for ways to do it. There are lots of sources for that, many of which I found right here on leatherworker.net in the forums by looking at others' work. Also, art and craft books, magazines, artwork. Some websites that have been mentioned here in the forums that are useful to me include: thecoloringspot.com/animals/animals-set-9.html , http://karenswhimsy.com/public-domain-images/ , http://www.harvestfields.ca/clipart/index.htm , Also the International Internet Leathercrafters' Guild website. Thanks, Dave M :You_Rock_Emoticon:

Edited by phlegmaticdog