leatheroo

Tank Strap For A 105Th Anniversary Softail Custom

Here is a tank strap that i was asked to make for a customer who had a sterling silver feather that he wanted incorporated into the design. He wanted it framed and set down a bit. I used three layers of leather, roo lacing, black dye and the bronze is acrylic that i airbrushed on. The customer lives about 1000km away, so i only had his measurements and photos to use. It will sit under the tank console and the bottom will go under the seat.

I hope the bronze is a good match.....i have just posted it and hope he will send me a pic when it is fitted.

cheers

caroline

post-4514-014706500 1285061816_thumb.jpg post-4514-082144700 1285061835_thumb.jpg

Edited by leatheroo

wow very nice work!

It's beautiful Roo

Here is a tank strap that i was asked to make for a customer who had a sterling silver feather that he wanted incorporated into the design. He wanted it framed and set down a bit. I used three layers of leather, roo lacing, black dye and the bronze is acrylic that i airbrushed on. The customer lives about 1000km away, so i only had his measurements and photos to use. It will sit under the tank console and the bottom will go under the seat.

I hope the bronze is a good match.....i have just posted it and hope he will send me a pic when it is fitted.

cheers

caroline

post-4514-014706500 1285061816_thumb.jpg post-4514-082144700 1285061835_thumb.jpg

Nice Job Roo, I like the idea of the airbrushed bronze to blend it in more and the layered "frame" effect.

Should look pretty nice on the HD.

cheers

caroline

WAHOO Look what you can do

That is awsome mate , i knew you would put the tool to good use

Your braiding is up there and looking good Caroline

I always look forward to seeing you work , you seem to come up with something different and it aways has the wahoo factor!!!!

Cheers and go the Saints

Bevan

thanks everyone....here is the strap fitted.

post-4514-035582900 1285625790_thumb.jpg

thanks everyone....here is the strap fitted.

post-4514-035582900 1285625790_thumb.jpg

That's a pretty cool effect! Makes it look like the bib is backlit by the paint job! NICE!

That looks great Caroline, the bronze sets it off really well.

Cheers,

Clair

That is very nice! I'm getting rid of the thin plastic cover on my Tour Glide Classic at the first opportunity. The lacing really gives the piece a lot of class. In my case, it will give me way to fit the metal ridge on the tank. The original plastic molded piece fits over the ridges. It's been in place since 1987 and is getting cracked and shredded around the edges.

Did you use any protective finish to keep water marks off?

What kind of leather did you use?

There were four layers of leather..three were about 2.5mm thick and then on the bottom i stuck a very thin layer of soft sheep skin leather to protect the tank. The top two were veg tan and the main biggest piece was a piece of leather that i had that looked like veg tan but was a bit softer and would mould to the tank shape. To protect it i used first neatsfoot oil followed by Renaissance wax which is mainly beeswax and then sprayed the whole thing with a spray craft gloss.

cheers

That is very nice! I'm getting rid of the thin plastic cover on my Tour Glide Classic at the first opportunity. The lacing really gives the piece a lot of class. In my case, it will give me way to fit the metal ridge on the tank. The original plastic molded piece fits over the ridges. It's been in place since 1987 and is getting cracked and shredded around the edges.

Did you use any protective finish to keep water marks off?

What kind of leather did you use?

Just a side note Kurt. Since this will be for your bike and you'll be doing the upkeep/care, check out Pecard's motorcycle kit. It's leather finish kit that many of the seat makers use and I have started using for my tank bibs. Great stuff and 2 out of the 3 parts are waterproofing finishes. $20 for the whole kit. Direct Link to the motorcycle kit