Here's the latest from the bench. I think it turned out pretty okay. I'd love some critiques on it so I can continue to improve. One thing I do know I would do differently is the strap. It's a bit too long. Thanks for looking and for the input.

post-7660-026867500 1290543771_thumb.jpg

post-7660-009608400 1290543781_thumb.jpg

post-7660-046321100 1290543798_thumb.jpg

Edited by leatherrookie

Looks great! Nice carving and looks like good depth on the background. And I wouldn't worry too much about the strap. I've found people tend to fill those things up with things I'd never imagined!

:thumbsup: Afine looking project..........your not a rookie no more. :blahblahblah:

Nice Tooling. Great Job on the project. Wondering what weight of leather to use. I would like to make something similar for my father.

Here's the latest from the bench. I think it turned out pretty okay. I'd love some critiques on it so I can continue to improve. One thing I do know I would do differently is the strap. It's a bit too long. Thanks for looking and for the input.

I agree the strap is a bit too long. Beautiful rendering of your subject matter. You have a problem with the liner at the "spine".

You should check the archives for suggestions on how to make the lining stay taut when the piece is closed.

ferg

Thanks for the compliments. I used 8-9 oz. Herman Oak, with a 2 oz. veg tanned lining. As for the lining 50years, it does have a wrinkle. I've made other daytimers that the wrinkle isn't there, but the book won't open flat. This time I constructed it all flat and then closed it. Hence the wrinkle. I'll dig through some old posts to see if I can figure how to be wrinkle free....LOL.

Nice job Wayne.....I agree, this is your best work so far! I agree with Ferg, the wrinkles in the lining at the spine are un-sightly, however, I have the same problem when I make mine. I have tried gluing everything in permanently and I have tried attaching the edges only and letting the lining float. I don't like it either way. The true master at getting these type of linings in perfectly is Peter Main. We'll have to work on him to teach us how it's done. Anyway, it's something I struggle with also. Your tooling is coming along very nicely. Your flowers look very nice.....I would suggest adding a "stop" at the petals where they terminate next to the seed pod. Your vinework is looking good also. I think the next thing you should concentrate on is getting the petals or "stickers" as they are sometimes called, spaced more evenly. Also work on balancing the positive and negative spaces. The size and frequency of background spaces should be similar and balanced. It's something that takes some practice. When you are drawing a pattern, be sure to color in the background. That will help you to see the relationship of the background space to the foreground. Hope this helps....

Happy holidays,

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder

Bobby,

Thanks for the insight. I'll try the stop idea. I'll also work on the "stickers" to see if I can't get that evened out some. As for the positive and negative spaces and patterns, I don't draw a pattern. I simply draw the circles lightly, make the flow path lightly, drop in the bigger leaves, and then cut it freehand with the swivel knife. Maybe I should start doing a pattern first. I tried that when I first started floral carving, but found that the pattern I drew on paper, transferred to film, and then put on the leather didn't turn out near as good as the first pattern on the paper. I read in the Sheridan book that alot of those guys just "let it roll". It kinda made sense that if I could draw it with a pencil, I oughta be able to do it with a swivel knife. Anyway, I certainly appreciate your input. I still aspire to reach your level of tooling. Thanks again.

Wayne

Bobby,

Thanks for the insight. I'll try the stop idea. I'll also work on the "stickers" to see if I can't get that evened out some. As for the positive and negative spaces and patterns, I don't draw a pattern. I simply draw the circles lightly, make the flow path lightly, drop in the bigger leaves, and then cut it freehand with the swivel knife. Maybe I should start doing a pattern first. I tried that when I first started floral carving, but found that the pattern I drew on paper, transferred to film, and then put on the leather didn't turn out near as good as the first pattern on the paper. I read in the Sheridan book that alot of those guys just "let it roll". It kinda made sense that if I could draw it with a pencil, I oughta be able to do it with a swivel knife. Anyway, I certainly appreciate your input. I still aspire to reach your level of tooling. Thanks again.

Wayne

Let it roll, eh? heh heh...good one. Let me know if you master the ability to erase a knife cut.

Get rid of the leatherrookie name. Doesn't fit anymore. Mike

Thanks for the encouragement Mike, but I still think "rookie" fits. I still have some construction issues to work through. And besides, I don't know what the next step about rookie is...I'm sure a long sight from a "master".....LOL

Go2.....you've got a point about erasing swivel knife cuts. Maybe that's why my "oops" pile is larger than some peoples....LOL. On the other hand, those "oopses" make great places to keep practicing and fiddling with that swivel knife so that maybe I don't increase the "oops" pile.

An added note on this project....I talked to CLH, who is a member here and is actually the man who showed me how the "flow" of Sheridan style worked about 3 years ago. I saw him at the NRHA Futurity in Oklahoma City. I was very of proud of the compliments he gave me on this. We shared a good laugh remembering how I was struggling to get the "flow" concept for a while. Anyway, it was nice to be able to physically show him how his simple lessons paid off that day at a reining in Denver with this finished project.