jasonsmith

X-Acto Vs. Box Cutter

I'm using 6 ounce weight leather and only do straight cuts.

I tend to use a box cutter to cut my leather. But was wondering if an X-Acto knife would make a sharper cut? I was thinking of getting the Stanley paper box cutter blades since they are 50% sharper than their regular blade or the FatMax blade that is 35% sharper. But was thinking of getting an X-Acto knife instead.

For those that use an X-Acto knife, what blade are you using? I'd need something sharp with a point.

Edited by jasonsmith

I've used both but have tended to use the box cutter more often because it's blade doesn't bend. I keep it sharp by stropping like I would any edged tool. I use the Stanley gold blades.

We may be doing a "word play" thing here: but I have always called the black plastic thing that uses an actual razor blade a box cutter. They start out sharp, but are only good for about one belt, and the blade is wobbly and thin.

I have x-acto knives gathering dust because they also are too wobbly and thin.

I have three drywall knives that use a blade that is shaped like a trapezoid. The blades change by pushing a button at the blade end of the knife body, and as Bison mentioned, they need to be stropped well to stay sharp.

On the average, I can cut 2 or 3 full belts out without having to stop and strop the blade. Having 3 knives allows me to also just pick up another knife and keep cutting. Sharpening each end of all 3 blades can take a half hour of time to do (also sipping a spot of tea or some coffee along the way) but it is well worth the effort when you see the final results.

Doing only straight cuts in 6 oz leather, . . . you will love the drywall knife.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

We may be doing a "word play" thing here: but I have always called the black plastic thing that uses an actual razor blade a box cutter. They start out sharp, but are only good for about one belt, and the blade is wobbly and thin.

I have x-acto knives gathering dust because they also are too wobbly and thin.

I have three drywall knives that use a blade that is shaped like a trapezoid. The blades change by pushing a button at the blade end of the knife body, and as Bison mentioned, they need to be stropped well to stay sharp.

On the average, I can cut 2 or 3 full belts out without having to stop and strop the blade. Having 3 knives allows me to also just pick up another knife and keep cutting. Sharpening each end of all 3 blades can take a half hour of time to do (also sipping a spot of tea or some coffee along the way) but it is well worth the effort when you see the final results.

Doing only straight cuts in 6 oz leather, . . . you will love the drywall knife.

May God bless,

Dwight

When you say drywall knife. Are you talking about the Stanley drywall blades? I was thinking of trying their FatMax blades that are supposed to be sharper then their regular blades.

I also have to shave the edge some after I cut it. Like if I cut leather along a row of pyramid spots. I may have to shave some small slivers of the edge off to help make the edge of the leather flush with the flat spots.

I think Dwight and I are using the same tool. The FatMax is similar. The blades I use are the gold titanium coated. I've found they last quite a while between stroppings, depending on what you're cutting. As for the edges, I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I use an edging tool to bevel or round over the edges. Different size tool for different weight leather or to suit your taste. I use a #2 and #3 most of the time.

I was thinking of getting the Stanley paper box cutter blades since they are 50% sharper than their regular blade or the FatMax blade that is 35% sharper.

It sounds like you are the victim of an advertisement.

It sounds like you are the victim of an advertisement.

I'm just going by what it says on the package. But I guess only Stanley would know how accurate that information is. Though I believe they are comparing their Fatmax blades being 35% sharper than their own regular blades. So, they aren't saying 35% sharper than every other blade. But I believe the Fatmax and regular blades are priced around the same anyways.

I'm just going by what it says on the package. But I guess only Stanley would know how accurate that information is. Though I believe they are comparing their Fatmax blades being 35% sharper than their own regular blades. So, they aren't saying 35% sharper than every other blade. But I believe the Fatmax and regular blades are priced around the same anyways.

Any time I see a statement like that I cringe. If it is true, they are intentionally selling dull blades so that they can say the others are sharper. In mass production, making thousands of blades a second to be able to make sure some blades are "sharper", by an exact percentage, is totally impossible. It is nothing more or less than marketing hype. Harbor freight blades are just as likely to be sharper.

Keep in mind, if you are going to believe the statement, soft junk steel can be sharpened scarry sharp. The trouble is it will dull almost as fast as it touches the item you are cutting.

Any time I see a statement like that I cringe. If it is true, they are intentionally selling dull blades so that they can say the others are sharper. In mass production, making thousands of blades a second to be able to make sure some blades are "sharper", by an exact percentage, is totally impossible. It is nothing more or less than marketing hype. Harbor freight blades are just as likely to be sharper.

Keep in mind, if you are going to believe the statement, soft junk steel can be sharpened scarry sharp. The trouble is it will dull almost as fast as it touches the item you are cutting.

I'm going to pick them up as they are cheap. It could be marketing hype, or it could be for real. But I don't think it is impossible for Stanley to make some blades sharper than others. They make several different types of blades: paper, dry wall, heavy duty, etc. That there must be something different between them.