Sixer

What Do You Use For Boning?

Just curious to find out what some of you use to bone the details into your holsters?

In the short time I've been making holsters, I've always used the end of a Sharpie marker to make my lines and capture the details of the gun while wet molding the holster. I've had mixed results thus far. Some guns are easier than others... The first picture of the M&P holster turned out pretty good IMHO, the second pic of the HK holster left a bit to be desired.

For those of you that do most of the details by hand, what is your preferred method of forming and detailing the holster?

Also, I've seen a number of holsters that have a neat, and nearly perfect oval shape in the trigger / trigger guard area... I really like the looks of it! Any suggestions on what to use for that result?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

post-13450-000384900 1293042723_thumb.jp

post-13450-078452700 1293042745_thumb.jp

Just curious to find out what some of you use to bone the details into your holsters?

In the short time I've been making holsters, I've always used the end of a Sharpie marker to make my lines and capture the details of the gun while wet molding the holster. I've had mixed results thus far. Some guns are easier than others... The first picture of the M&P holster turned out pretty good IMHO, the second pic of the HK holster left a bit to be desired.

For those of you that do most of the details by hand, what is your preferred method of forming and detailing the holster?

Also, I've seen a number of holsters that have a neat, and nearly perfect oval shape in the trigger / trigger guard area... I really like the looks of it! Any suggestions on what to use for that result?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Sixer, I like to use a polished deer antler or a smaller deer tine to detail. As far as the round "plug" at the trigger-guard area....use a small press with a round, flat object (washer, etc.) and press it into the cased leather for a short time. Remove the weapon (or blur gun) and I squeeze the holster together a little bit and let it dry that way. Semper-fi Mike Merry CHRISTmas to you and yours also.

I use a 8" antler tine polished to a high finish on the ball and tip, a set of real bone folders and some basswood clay modeling tools. The modeling tools were a suggestion from Partilce and are really useful.

I use a real bone folder, a polished elk antler and the end of my freehand stitch groover most often... I have also been successful in "drawing in" some of the fine lines and details with the end of my stylus (the pointed end, not the ball end), but this is usually done once I have "boned" and molded the holster and is really only used to chase the lines for more detail.

Sixer.

I use deer antler. I have 3 different pieces, different sizes. Your holsters look good. I was wondering on the HK holster if maybe the leather was too wet when you tried the boning?

Also, as someone else posted a while ago, I use the vacuum bag. I bone right through the bag. I'm such a spazz, so when I do make a mistake, the bag makes the boning more forgiving.

Jeff

Jeff has a good point. I've found that sometimes having the correct amount of moisture in the leather is more important than the tool you are using to bone. As far as tools, I've used a number of things that work well. I've had great results using the wooden handle end of one of my tools such as a overstitch wheel, edge beveler, etc. The trick is to roll it instead of rubbing it against the leather. As with any tool, if you rub too much you can burnish the leather and potentially leave a mark that will cause discoloration when dying. Just get your moisture content right, then try whatever you can get your hands on to mold with. You'll be surprised at work will work! Holsters look good by the way!

Edited by BanjoMan

I've made mine from stainless steel dinner knives. You can cut, grind, buff, and polish to any shape you need and the cost is about $1.50 each at Walmart.

I use a Sharpie, a plastic bone folder from Tandy, and the round end of my edge beveler handle. Between the three I get as much definition as I need but then again I don't do detailed boning.

I use a real bone folder, and also use the wooden handle from one of my bevelers - but generally just for the recess in the trigger guard. Sometimes I'll use one of the wooden clay modeling tools, but generally I use those for burnishing.