dustin29

Strap End Punches

Where is the best place to buy strap end punches?

I assume you're talking about English points, so I will go from there. A lot of Osbornes are pretty crappy, they aren't shaped right or they aren't the right size. I have about 15 that I use regularly. The ones that are really bad I've been replacing with Weaver's cast punches as I can. I've only gotten 2 or 3, but so far they are right on the money.

I have another set that were made by an Amish guy in New York I believe, but I don't know who it was since I didn't get them directly from him. They come as a set and are kind of pricey to buy all at once, but no more than others if you were buying a whole set. I've seen them on E-bay in the past.

I've never seen it mentioned anywhere, but I discovered that if you want to cut an end with your round knife, just set your dividers to the width of your strap, put one point at the center of the end and the other point off the edge and scribe the one from the center out to the other edge. Perfect every time. (Oh yeah, do both sides)

Hope this helps,

Kevin

i got some punches from Byler in NY, there are two brothers up there, one does machines and the other does dies and punches. the last name is not the same as Beilers Supply, Ive got the info someplace, Shop talk did an article on them and they got really busy, I think it was four months before I got my punches, but they're pretty nice!

-Andrew

Thanks guys. I think I will order a couple from Weaver Leather.

You might want to check out Joseph Dixon of Walsall in the UK. If you like the shape of their punches I'll gladly help out with the shipping etc.

Ray

I haved the full set of Weaver english point and the bag punches, best investment by far.

You might want to check out Joseph Dixon of Walsall in the UK. If you like the shape of their punches I'll gladly help out with the shipping etc.

Ray

Thanks Ray. Does Joseph Dixon have a website I can check out?

Yes, just type in Joseph Dixon in the search and you will get their web site. Lots of good useable tools, but they are on the wrong side of the puddle and cost a fortune to ship.

Personally I like the shape of the Osborne English end punches better than the Weaver punches. The Weavers tend to be shorter for the width of the belt and not as appealing to my eye. The Weaver punches are certainly much prettier and lighter to handle, make the Osborne punches look like crude boat anchors by comparison, but in the 40+ some years that I have been using them I certainly have had no problems with the Osborne punches, though maybe that is because they are mostly 30 some years old!

Jim D.

www.leather-tools.net