Sign in to follow this  
Skald

Smaller Tools?

When carving figures and stamping them accordingly, I often come across a problem, namely that my background tools (and others) are simply too big. Sometimes I can of course tilt the stamping tool a little, and make partial impressions to cover the specific area, but at times even this isn't possible.

I tend to work with quite small projects, and in addition quite detailed patterns, so I really would need a little smaller tools to work with.

My plan is to buy "dupilcates" of the tools in question, and simply grind them down to a more suitable size. It wouldn't be a very high cost, and not very difficult either. What I wonder about is if the loss of chrome on parts of on the tools would cause any problems? Have anyone tried this? Or are there actually some of these small stamps available for purchase already? I have mostly Tandy's stamps, and I do have the smallest ones I think they have, but they simply ain't small enough for me. ;)

When carving figures and stamping them accordingly, I often come across a problem, namely that my background tools (and others) are simply too big. Sometimes I can of course tilt the stamping tool a little, and make partial impressions to cover the specific area, but at times even this isn't possible.

I tend to work with quite small projects, and in addition quite detailed patterns, so I really would need a little smaller tools to work with.

My plan is to buy "dupilcates" of the tools in question, and simply grind them down to a more suitable size. It wouldn't be a very high cost, and not very difficult either. What I wonder about is if the loss of chrome on parts of on the tools would cause any problems? Have anyone tried this? Or are there actually some of these small stamps available for purchase already? I have mostly Tandy's stamps, and I do have the smallest ones I think they have, but they simply ain't small enough for me. ;)

I think most of the members here have modified & ground down tools to fit their needs. I've not had a problem with lack of chrome; perhaps others have? I think some of the original tools (way back when) didn't have plating.

I've been sanding down more than one of my stamping tools, as you say it is needed when doing small stuff. I did buy duplicates to modify (and even some of the older tools too), it worked like a charm:-)

Edited by Tina

I started to suspect that people must have modified tools in their "toolbox". ;)

What I am a bit worried about are those modern semi-junk stamps, like most of the ones I have, that are probably casted in some junk metal, and then drenched in chrome. I fear that the chrome will sort of "flake off" and cause trouble (nice with flakes of metal flashing in your leather), and maybe the metal itself would cause the leather to go black or whatever. I noticed that nailing the leather to a board (wet forming) made the holes black, but that was a several hours contact with the leather, so it might be a bit different.

I am not sure what kind of backgrounding you are doing, but Barry King makes some awfully fine, small bargrounders if this style will work. I just bought a #27, 3 hole bargrounder that fits about any where. I'll bet Robert Beard also makes small backgrounders especially for figure carving. I will guarantee neither of these manufacturers use "junk metal" Hope this helps.

Terry

Edited by terrymac

I started to suspect that people must have modified tools in their "toolbox". ;)

What I am a bit worried about are those modern semi-junk stamps, like most of the ones I have, that are probably casted in some junk metal, and then drenched in chrome. I fear that the chrome will sort of "flake off" and cause trouble (nice with flakes of metal flashing in your leather), and maybe the metal itself would cause the leather to go black or whatever. I noticed that nailing the leather to a board (wet forming) made the holes black, but that was a several hours contact with the leather, so it might be a bit different.

Hi Skald,

Hope, I write here in the correct space. Regarding your worrying about stamps made of junk metal: try by googling *Pro Leather Carver's Supply. They sell the old Crafttool Co.-stamps without letters, just numbers; these are good

stamps, not junk metal. They sell also the stamps of the Pro Crafters Tool Collection which stamps line is also offered and sold by Hide Crafters. These stamps' prices shouldn't be a burden, also with a limited budget in mind. Then, *Pro Leather Carver's Supply* sells also Hackbarth stamps. Their prices aren't that affordable as the stamps lines mentioned before, but may be worth to have a look at.

Regards,

Mark, the leatherthresher (from snowclad Switzerland - but not a problem.).

I do this often with my Tandy Crafttools & ProCrafter Pebble tools and have 'adjusted' quite a few for folks that do the "class" hang out session on Saturday nights at Tandy as well. No problems that I have had yet. One thing I found that helps is to sand them smooth after grinding (I have 80 & 120 white Norton wheels) and then follow the sanding with a good polish. This will blend the chrome if there is any to reduce flaking. I have a JoolTool sharpening/polishing set-up for the light work but it could be done by hand fairly quickly. Sanding also removes any burrs from the working end of the tool so it doesn't hang up in the leather (happens with adjusted backgrounders most often).

Seems my worries ain't much to worry about then. I'll get myself some suitable stamps for modification then. As soon as I feel I can afford it, I'll start getting some proper quality stamps as well, thanks for all the suggestions on where to get hold of them.:banana: