KAYAK45

Somebody Do A New Pin?

JUST A SUGGESTION (i'm bad about them)

I've been all over this WONDERFUL site and it looks like a lot of newbies, like me, need a complete list of tools. I have seen cutters lists, machine lists, sewing pins, sewing machine pins, sharpening pins and more.

Now. Where do I get my first swivel knife?

What are the options? Bearings? Plain? Usable, satisfactory, good, great and absolute best?

Blade choices and needs?

Dollar ranges?

Other basic tools from tandy to gomph to osbourne etc?

Tandy wants me to pay $35 to $150 to "join the club". Worth it?

Weaver wants an initial order of $250?

I certainly have learned sooooo much on this site and look forward to actually knowing something someday!

In the meantime what about that knife thing?

JUST A SUGGESTION (i'm bad about them)

I've been all over this WONDERFUL site and it looks like a lot of newbies, like me, need a complete list of tools. I have seen cutters lists, machine lists, sewing pins, sewing machine pins, sharpening pins and more.

Now. Where do I get my first swivel knife?

What are the options? Bearings? Plain? Usable, satisfactory, good, great and absolute best?

Blade choices and needs?

Dollar ranges?

Other basic tools from tandy to gomph to osbourne etc?

Tandy wants me to pay $35 to $150 to "join the club". Worth it?

Weaver wants an initial order of $250?

I certainly have learned sooooo much on this site and look forward to actually knowing something someday!

In the meantime what about that knife thing?

If you have the money to spare or maybe hidden somewhere, buy the best. I think that is the SK-3. If you want one to try your hand at carving then by all means buy one of the inexpensive Tandy knives. I would also have at least one 1/2" straight blade, one 1/4" straight blade, and a 1/4" angle blade. To be less expensive, just buy one knife handle and a couple seperate blades. Blades are $8.00 with no club membership, good knife, $20.00 no membership.

I have the cheaper club fee for Tandy. This year I should have gotten the big one. Tandy has got to be your starting point. They have classes, reasonably good leather, inexpensive stamps, some not so hot but it is a starting point. Educational material out the wazoo and many of the finishes etc. folks like to use. When you get bitten by the "Leather Bug" for sure, you can buy some nicer, albeit expensive, tools. Tandy has several beginner sets that are priced right.

Obviously there are other tools you will need to get started. Plan on spending $250 to $300 if you start at Tandy with some starter pieces of leather plus tools. $500 to $1000 if you want to pick and choose on professional tools, no leather.

ferg

As a newbie myself, I started with Tandy to see if I was going to like it. I started back in September 10. In December 10, I drove 3 hours to the nearest Tandy store to pick up some heavy items and some dyes. I made the decision to purchase the Elite Club membership and paid for it in savings on that trip. I can see it easily paying for itself many times over through out the year.

Even with the best prices, watch the sales that Tandy has. I got a lot of my stamps at below the wholesale price, and was able to upgrade to better tools with sales. I started with the ergo swivel knife and the 1/4 inch ceramic angle blade. I cut with both the 3/8 metal blade and the ceramic. I like the ceramic better.

Basic tools to start with:

The wooden strap cutter

sewing awl

skive knife

v groove cutter

edge beveler (I started with a number 2 and 3)

swivel knife

select some basic stamps dependent on what you want to do (basket weave, camouflage, beveler, backgrounder, pear shader, etc)

A leather mallet (never strike your tools with a metal hammer)

Hole punches (Go ahead and spring for the pro model rotary punch, lifetime warranty)

I picked up the maxi and mini punches because all my holes are not on the edges.

If doing straps, pick up a strap end punch (get the larger one to start with, it will work for smaller straps too)

Now, when I make an order for expendables, I throw in a couple of punches and usually some kind of tool. I will build my tools up as I go. I looked at the kits they offered, but many of the items included in the kit would not have been used for my projects.

Always buy the best tool you can for the money you have to spend. I spent over $800 at my visit, but you can get started for less. You can buy lower grade leather to get started with. I have had good luck with the Oak series leather from Tandy.

Every person will have different needs for tools, so just plan out your projects. Most of the kits sold a Tandy will give you a list of stamps needed and many of them will list tools needed. I purchase a couple of kits, but more for making patterns than the kit itself. The employees at Tandy are leather workers too, so they are very helpful if you have questions.

Hope this helps.

This and several threads like it. There is no comprehensive list of what you should buy....unless you just want to say "all of it" and be done. The tools you need are highly dependent on the type of leather work you want to do. If you never ever plan or want to lace anything, then it wouldn't make sense to tell you to get a lace maker, Aussie strander, lacing nippers, or a 4 prong lacing punch. Nor would you need the complete Barry King set of stamps/ tools if all you'll be doing is sewing chrome-tanned purses. Tell us a bit more about what you want to do, and we will be able to direct your future purchases in the right direction.

I also have the elite from tandy and if you are going to or are planning on spending any money there it is very much worth it, on the day I got mine I bought 785.00 worth of stuff plus my membership for 437.87 so I spent under half, plus with the elite you get super deals and the sale prices last two months for you and not just one. One other thing to look at is "leathercraft" on ebay, look for good lots and sometimes you can really find some excellent buys, sometimes it's a crapshoot but if you do it right and you watch the shipping prices closely it works out really well. Standing Bears always has good ebay prices and there is another one called Steckstores that usually have some good deals. I have bought new stuff from both of them and have been very pleased with the items, shipping and prices. Like every one say's "just my .02"

Peace

Bryan