Joanne

Hello from Michigan

Hi, my name is Paulette J. I am heavy into collecting skins. (Roadkill, slaughterhouse processor and deerhunter donations and bison farmer. Sometimes I actually braintan them..lol.

Getting to thinking that I should be bark or vegetable tanning the furskins and some of the deerskins as braintanning them alone is probably madness! I am certainly no purist or traditional braintanner. I hardly ever buck any deerskins and am now pretty confident that I will continue to use the powerwasher to help get these skins tanned. I will certainly be starting to decide just what I am going to do with all the leather and rawhide soon. Right now I am working on the inventory of my own leather and fur factory. I've been an avid collector and insane braintan toiler for the last 5 years.

100_2442.jpg

100_2441.jpg

100_2427.jpg

Welcome Paulette, that looks like a lot of work. Hope you find all that you are looking for here. Lots of knowledge and good people hanging around.

Paulette, glad you found us, there's a few people here that do their own tanning as well. That sure looks like a lot of leather you have there, once you get to making things with it, you'll be set for a while.

Good luck.

Ken

welcome paulett, after the snow gets out of your way,

and you get going on braintanning i might need a few hides for coats

& pants like this this coat.P1010259_COAT.jpg

do i see tipi poles that the hides are

hanging on?

when is the next rendevou?

post-1906-1200320516_thumb.jpg

Edited by Luke Hatley

Thanks for the nice welcome.

I'll let you know when I've got some skins ready Luke; :dance:

Great emoticons here, btw!

Yes those are tipi poles. I'm putting them to work! It is pretty tough to get much done when it's freezing out.. was wondering if the frost was going to bite me or whether I was going to bite it!

I have never been to any rondevous.. attended two voyageur encampments but never as one of the traders..maybe sometime in the future. There seem to be plenty of Powwows going on in MI as well, but I haven't been to any of those(yet). I think when I do I'll be prepared with a 16' lodge and all the right gear. "Historically correct".. this may take awhile! Seems more like the ones who do go regularly to trade at these events are going more as hobby then tradespersons! I've got a pretty good location here at my home for tourists coming 'up North' so this is my goal. I just figure I will need a lot of items to sell and I don't wish to go in hock to do it! Working on my own business plan and it's slow when all this 'stuff' seems to be more labor of love. The sewing machines and being a non-purist has it's tempting moments with this leather, for sure! It does seem a shame to go to all the trouble of making braintan leather only to stitch some things up by machine!

Hi Joanne welcome to the forum we are glad that you found us, it looks like you got a lot of work on your hands, Don

Jo yes it is a Labor of love and a Profitable Hobby

4 times a year. Here is my trade table.

lukeh2__Medium_.jpg

post-5-1204418676_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum, Paulette J. The skins and hides look nice. I have never tanned any thing before. I friend of mine that shots black powder saw a shot bag that was made from the skin off the legs/ankles of the deer and included the dew claw such that the bag sat upright on a circle of dew claws. He has asked me to replicate that bag. To start he provided the un-tanned skins from 10 deer legs that included the dew claw. Any suggestions on how to do the tanning would be appreciated.

Bill B.

Nice stuff there Luke.. I'd probably have a hard time keeping my hands to myself around your trade table.. lol!

Bill, I made a bag similar to that.. I didn't tan those leg skins for it and just stitched up the rawhide when it was still damp. I think they really should be tanned to be less attractive to the hide beetles and the like. I'm getting some really clean leg skins with the power washer. I didn't use it at all on the front legs of the deer in that pic however.. the one I posted above. The washers with the turbo nozzles just do an incredible job of removing the membranous tissue and just getting the oils into the skins are much easier.. Like I wrote, I haven't done any vegetable or bark tanning but I can imagine that once I just start to get into that by doing it.. things will just come naturally. I'm sure the NA's didn't just use brains and smoke. Like modern day folks just have a natural tendency to do what 'works'. There never seems to be enough time in a day to do everything that I would like to do! I did use the powerwasher today on a hog skin and gee that was pretty dang cool.. if the taxidermists are doing it well so can I! I have a lot to learn about leather and I do intend to do just that!

I plan to cut the head from this pigskin and frame the skin and figure out how to dehair and grain this pig the quickest and easiest way.

pigskin3.jpg

pigskin4.jpg

post-5716-1200446448_thumb.jpg

post-5716-1200446550_thumb.jpg

Edited by Joanne

Hi Joanne and Welcome from another Michigan living leather lover:-)

Tina

Paulette J.

Thanks for the insight. I will have to give my power washer a try and see how it works out. Again, Thanks and welcome to the forum.

Wow! What a collection ^_^

Those are some beautiful hides!

If you ever want to part with any, let me know, Im in Michigan and always looking for individuals to get supplies from!

(Seeing those made me cry a little, I grew up running my own trap lines!)