Johnny B

Looking For Horse Hide

I am looking for horse hide something like a double shoulder. Anyone know of a source?

Edited by Johnny B

If you find a source be sure and let us know. To my knowledge the only US tannery doing horsehide is Haroween in Chicago and all of the production of the main hides goes to the garment and upholstery industry. What is available to us mere mortal holster makers are horse butts that are the remnants of processing shell cordovan.

Isn't Springfield Leather still selling those "horse butts"?

Would that work?

Isn't Springfield Leather still selling those "horse butts"?

Would that work?

I have ordered a couple of those in the past but I need good clean leather for holsters. Most of the horse butts was useless to me for what I need. I did make some really nice distressed holsters with those butts. I make holsters for some LEOs and they say nothing holds up like Horse Hide.

I have ordered a couple of those in the past but I need good clean leather for holsters. Most of the horse butts was useless to me for what I need. I did make some really nice distressed holsters with those butts. I make holsters for some LEOs and they say nothing holds up like Horse Hide.

I've had a look at the Springfield website, and while the price per piece looks pretty good, it doesn't say how heavy the leather is. In your opinion, would it make good sturdy boots?

I've had a look at the Springfield website, and while the price per piece looks pretty good, it doesn't say how heavy the leather is. In your opinion, would it make good sturdy boots?

It was something like 6-7oz but not enough clean leather to do anything bigger than maybe a knife sheath with. I used most of it for distressed sheaths and holsters. As far as the boots, if you could get a clean enough piece then it would make fine boots. The holsters and sheaths I have made with it are tough.

Edited by Johnny B

It was something like 6-7oz but not enough clean leather to do anything bigger than maybe a knife sheath with. I used most of it for distressed sheaths and holsters. As far as the boots, if you could get a clean enough piece then it would make fine boots. The holsters and sheaths I have made with it are tough.

Looks like I need to go visit my uncle in Springfield sometime soon. :-) In your experience, was the main problem insect bites and brands, or simply an uneven grain?

I've also seen discussion of sanding the grain to even it out, but that was for making razor strops. How would that affect the leather otherwise? Would it wear out faster, or make it not dye well? Would boning the leather smooth out fat wrinkles or other flaws?

Thanks,

Vince

I've had good luck with the horse butts I've purchased from Siegal's. They offer both soft and hard jacked. I find the soft jacked accepts moisture better for forming. The butts I've used from Springfield were hard jacked and tended to be longer and narrower. I use them for belts. Siegals tend to be shorter and wider and higher quality and I use those for holsters. As always you get what you pay for Siegals is about 50% higher than Springfield.

If was making boots or shoes from horse, I wouldn't use anything but cordovan shell. Very small pieces and very expensive, but the only thing that is groomed by Horweens to be the best for the shoe industry. Even the shoe industry has to reject some of the shells. Once they begin to make the shoe, horsehide doesn't always want to cooperate to the stretching.

Mr. Siegel is the only US source I know of for the small guy. There may be one or two others. Hopefully someone else will chime in on that.

Unfortunately, Seigles is no longer in business. I am currently looking for a new supplier for belt work myself. The hides Springfield sent me (months ago to put everything in perspective) were too short and contained some rawhide. So, if anyone has a supplier of A grade horse in belt length cuts, give a shout.

We buy all of our Horse Hide from Horweens and have gotten some very good hides with some nice length to them. There's some pretty big boys out there who want HH belts.

I think they have a min but for first time buyers will wave it.

Centralia Fur & Hide up in Washington could probably help you. Phone # is 360.736.3663

Dear Sirs, please tell me, where can I buy a horse butts in the U.S.? Leather, which offers the SLC is not very high quality, and Maverick leather company for a long time does not respond to my requests ((

Thank you

Denis

Sorry for bad English

Edited by AlphaSix