Sign in to follow this  
Forkbeard

Manual Stichers

Hey folks.

i posted some stuff last fall about wanting to buy a machine.

i knew nothing about this kind of thing.

thanks to you nice people i did not buy a crappy sewing machine on ebay.

after saving my pennies all winter i have cash in hand and am ready to buy a real sticher.

i was about to buy a tippman boss, but this luberto machine has caught my attention. I've dug and dug and it seems to be a much better machine.

what do you guys think? Im GOING to buy a machine in the next 2 weeks, the sooner the better.

It has to sew 3/4" veg tan. All i make is leather armor. I sew typicly between wp and wt stiches in a run, no more.

im going to spend between 1000 and 1500 on it.

please, oh wise ones, help me out.

thanks

fb

I don't know about the 'wise ones' part, but.....

I'm glad you didn't get a cheap machine from feebay, you would've been sorely disappointed. As to what you are looking for NOW....I was looking at the Luberto's Cub, but ended up with a Boss from a member here. The only advantages I see with the Cub are that it's a full rotary machine which means a good tinkerer could motorize it, and it says there's only two adjustments on the whole thing. I'm not sure about the last part because there's top thread tension, bobbin tension, presser foot pressure, and stitch length to think about. The slot machine lever action of the Boss works well for me because I can sit closer to the 'left' of the machine and not worry about torque. I also tend to work off the left side of a table when I can, so not having the 'throw' of a rotary is a good thing in my case. I haven't used a Cub, but did strongly consider it, so I am familiar with your research....in fact, I posted the email I got from them that gives the full description.

I have noticed that the ad banner at the top of the page still lists the Boss for right at $1200, so it appears they are continuing the "holiday" pricing to get a little more of the market in a bad economy.

If you haven't read it, here's a thread about the Cub and a comment from Art, one of our moderators: http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=22959

I'm pretty sure either will do the job just fine, and if you decide on the Boss, shoot me a PM and I'll give you some info on how I mounted it to be a truly portable machine.

I don't know about the 'wise ones' part, but.....

I'm glad you didn't get a cheap machine from feebay, you would've been sorely disappointed. As to what you are looking for NOW....I was looking at the Luberto's Cub, but ended up with a Boss from a member here. The only advantages I see with the Cub are that it's a full rotary machine which means a good tinkerer could motorize it, and it says there's only two adjustments on the whole thing. I'm not sure about the last part because there's top thread tension, bobbin tension, presser foot pressure, and stitch length to think about. The slot machine lever action of the Boss works well for me because I can sit closer to the 'left' of the machine and not worry about torque. I also tend to work off the left side of a table when I can, so not having the 'throw' of a rotary is a good thing in my case. I haven't used a Cub, but did strongly consider it, so I am familiar with your research....in fact, I posted the email I got from them that gives the full description.

I have noticed that the ad banner at the top of the page still lists the Boss for right at $1200, so it appears they are continuing the "holiday" pricing to get a little more of the market in a bad economy.

If you haven't read it, here's a thread about the Cub and a comment from Art, one of our moderators: http://leatherworker...showtopic=22959

I'm pretty sure either will do the job just fine, and if you decide on the Boss, shoot me a PM and I'll give you some info on how I mounted it to be a truly portable machine.

As a note to fellow members, this past weekend I clicked on the link advertising the Boss at $1195, intending to purchase it. I searched the Tippmann site, and was unable to find any way to purchase it for that price. I emailed them and received a reply from Ms. Anna Tippman stating that the sale was no longer in effect. I grabbed a screenshot of the ad that we all still see on the top of this page, and emailed it back to her. My kids and I have counted on Tippmann products in the past in the form of their basically bulletproof (pun intended) paintball products, but that extra 300 dollars... well, I will have to wait and see if I find a used one, and I have also started considering other options. I can, after all purchase a servo powered stitcher on a table for less than 1500. I feel a bit let down that the ad is running, but I cannot purchase it for that price.

It at least has me doing alot more research, and gaining a whole lot of respect for the "Wiz" over on the sewing machine area.

Shane

Edited by Shane in Baton Rouge

Thanks Shane. I've been saving some cash to get one, but if the price went up I might just keep saving and buy an electric machine.

im going to spend between 1000 and 1500 on it.

please, oh wise ones, help me out.

thanks

fb

Forkbeard,

I have always defended the "boss" stitcher in threads here on LW.net, I bought one, used it for years, sold it, and only missed it a couple times.

I have learned about sewing machines and in our shop now have 10 different machines for sewing projects with 1 more on the way (Cobra class 4).

If you are serious about leather work Just buy the entry level Artisan or Cobra class 3. I think they have a 9 inch throat so holsters, belts, wallets will never be hard to get it there. With the servo motors on todays machines you can sew slow and concentrate on what you are doing. There is quit a learning curve with the "manual" machines and isn't life just tough enough? concentrate on your leatherwork and there will be no fear of screwing up a project when you pop it in the sewing machine, you will mess some up with the manual stitchers.

I wasted a few years thinking all I needed was the Tippman Boss, it does have its place (I could have used it twice in the last year) but move past it into one of these entry level sewing machines, you will be much happier.

Just my .02cents and worth every penny of it.

Edited by rickybobby

For what it's worth, I believe the Boss was on "Holiday" sale for a little over a year. I love my Boss, but with the price going back up - I'd either buy a used one or save a little more for a powered machine. When I first started my holster business, I had no idea I'd have a steady source of income coming my way. It would have been well worth it to save a little more and get a good powered machine.