lthrman

Makeing Leather Look Old

I had an antique restoration company contact me recently about putting a new strap on a 200 yr. old leather firemans bucket. I don't have an issue replacing the strap but the new strap needs to look 200 yrs. old. Other than wetting the leather and breaking it in along with a bad dye job to make it stained and used I not sure how to make it look that old. Any suggestions welcome.

Mark

Edited by lthrman

I had an antique restoration company contact me recently about putting a new strap on a 200 yr. old leather firemans bucket. I don't have an issue replacing the strap but the new strap needs to look 200 yrs. old. Other than wetting the leather and breaking it in along with a bad dye job to make it stained and used I not sure how to make it look that old. Any suggestions welcome.

Mark

Tandy sells antiquing liquid in several colors. Make test strips, and when test strips come out the way that you need it to look, you are ready.

I am new to leather, really, but test strips are cheap to make and the antiquing fluid is something that I like to use.

Also look at vinegaroon as a dye.

Good luck !

Relly

I have had good luck rubbing denatured alcohol over a project to make it look aged. It will strip most of the shine off water and wax based finishes, and you can rub it with a cloth to create wear spots in the project.

I was just going to say, "Ask Chuck Burrows." Looks like he beat me to the punchline!

Kate

One of the things I like to use is a keyring full of keys, and repeatedly slap the snot out of the strap to give it some "battle scars". I don't mean completely deface it, but a set of keys will give you a variety of dents, scrapes, dings, and divots that you'd find on a well used strap and do so in a random pattern. Shoot your dye with an airbrush so you can vary the intensity of the dyeing, antique it, finish it and Voila!

I used sandpaper on my wallet to give it an aged look, Try it !!!

Followed these instructions and leads....did it work???

James

post-10280-0-05681000-1401422337_thumb.j