Newbee

How Many Different Tools Do I Really Need

I am a Newbee. I have created a few things and love the craft. I have purchased several books,craftaids and such. Each project shows which tools were used. I need to know, does it really make a difference if you use the tools that the pros used when writing these books, or if I have a bevel tool that is close the same size as the one recommended, will I do just as well? I am a firm believer that having the right tools for a job, can make most of the difference. I own several tools, but I have a lot of projects I would like to try that calls for tools I do not have. I don't want to waste money on tools I don't need, but if it really makes a difference it would be worth it to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am a Newbee. I have created a few things and love the craft. I have purchased several books,craftaids and such. Each project shows which tools were used. I need to know, does it really make a difference if you use the tools that the pros used when writing these books, or if I have a bevel tool that is close the same size as the one recommended, will I do just as well? I am a firm believer that having the right tools for a job, can make most of the difference. I own several tools, but I have a lot of projects I would like to try that calls for tools I do not have. I don't want to waste money on tools I don't need, but if it really makes a difference it would be worth it to me. Any advice would be appreciated.

Having the right tools definitely makes a difference. Not having everyone of them called for in a design is not a "work breaker" to me. Very few of us began with a full set of

tools. A beginner wouldn't know what to do with a lot of them anyway. Be patient, I am not :) As you gain experience and hopefully sell a few items, you can buy more

toys, Oh doggone it, I meant to say, "More tools that you must have."

ferg

Don't worry if you do not have the exact tool that is shown on the project. I have several of theseproject plans and some of the tools indicated are obsolete so unless you want to spend a lot of time on E-Bay looking for them, use what you have. Depending on what project you are working, especailly if it is tooled, at least for me, the modelers are the most important tool as they rub out the marks. Buy the tools as you can and don't worry about, as long as the customer is satisfied, its all good.

Thanks for all the advice! I am learning more and more that I do much better when I can get past the fear that I am going to mess something up because I am not doing it exactly right! I am also amazed at how many mistakes I have made and have been able to find a way to camoflage them. The advice really helps my confidence!

Some one once told me that to make a mistake is human but to fix the mistake so no one but you knows makes you an ARTIST. Work with what you have and the rest will follow. You will be amazed with what you can do with just the basics and it makes you all that much better when you have to get artistic. I agree tough you should get a set of modeling tools because you can improvise a lot of things with them, I do anyway. personally I think I have spent WAY more on my layout tools then on my leather tools.

Good luck

Peace

Bryan

Edited by bkingery

I think that a really good place to start (I wish that I had done this) is to look at the Tandy "Lucky 7" ( I think they call it) set and buy really high quality tools of the same style. I mean get a Bob Beard, Chuck Smith, etc set of tools that match the beveler, pear shader, camo etc. Chuck makes a really nice knife as does Leatherwrangler, and many others.

I think that you can do some great work with the 7 mentioned on the Tandy add. I know that I have them all and have traded up over the years to the same type of tool but a top quality. They may cost 25-40 each but you only need about 7-8 to do really great work.

Of course you will eventually want specialty tool like skiving, trim,fancy mallets or mauls, etc, but as far as tool go, I use about5-7 most all the time.

hope this helps

pete

I have 3 types of tools in my shop.

1) tools that I need.

2) tools that shorten the time it takes to something. I can do with out them but it's nice to have them anyway.

3) tools I just had to have because some one told me I just had to have them. These set in a box under my bench.

You too will have all 3 sets of tools in time. You will find that some tools can be used to do more than "the book" says it does.

Good knives, good stamps, good mauls or mallets and the best finish tools you can get. I have 350 or 400 different stamps and use maybe 30 or 35 of them a lot but I have used every stamp I own at one time or another. Some becaused I needed it and some because it just made things go smoother. I don't know if this helps or not. But I am a better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it kinda guy.

While you're learning this craft, only worry about having a few tools and learning to use them to the best of your ability and the fullness of their potential. If you want to see a really impressive tool set, check out PeterMain.com and look at the pic of his shop. I've got about 25 stamps, and many of them I've only used once or twice. Don't buy a bunch of tools at the start of this hobby, get creative with what you have first. Then, when the tool has trouble keeping up with the artist, spend the money on a GOOD set of tools. I don't mean for this to be Craftool bashing, but I've found that some of the newer Craftools (Tandy) aren't uniform in construction or finish.....the result is that you get some tools expecting to do something, and you CAN'T because the tool won't make impressions correctly. My comment is based on my experience with Craftool geometrics, that aren't cut square, "matching" sides are off center, etc.