Sign in to follow this  
docdomek

Input On Sheridan Pattern

I plan on using this as the front of a padfolio. I was hoping you all could critique it and tell me what you like or don't like. Thanks for all the input.

post-18914-099423400 1300572677_thumb.jp

Edited by docdomek

Looks good to me. I would be proud to draw to it.

I think it looks good. The only thing I noticed is that the flower on the bottom right doesn't seem to be connected to anything. It's missing it's stem, I think.

You're right, guess I didn't really notice that. I'll pencil around and put in a stem, shouldn't be too hard to convert it. Thanks for the input.

I wasn't sure what was going on at the question mark. Sheridan carving usually has minimal background area in it - so perhaps a reduction in the background area at the X's would help. The lower right one can be taken care of with a stem as previously pointed out. Incorporating differant flowers and leaves into a balenced design is a tough act to perform. It is easier to perfect a design where all the design elements are of the same type.

post-13007-058880600 1300685173_thumb.jp

Thanks for such an in-depth look. I can see what your talking about. The bottom left corner is a designated area to stamp initials, but the others are definitely noticeable after you point it out. I'll try and work on it. Thanks!

There does not appear to be a starting point to the stem. In the bottom Left corner it just circles the flower. There should eb a beginning.

Aaron

I plan on using this as the front of a padfolio. I was hoping you all could critique it and tell me what you like or don't like. Thanks for all the input.

I see a problem with the flower in the lower left.

post-19342-065559600 1300755364_thumb.jp

I wasn't sure what was going on at the question mark. Sheridan carving usually has minimal background area in it - so perhaps a reduction in the background area at the X's would help. The lower right one can be taken care of with a stem as previously pointed out. Incorporating differant flowers and leaves into a balenced design is a tough act to perform. It is easier to perfect a design where all the design elements are of the same type.

I've redone quite a bit of it with the suggestions you all had. I noticed on my original that one of the vines didn't flow very well, so I tried to fix that, as well as replacing a few things to try and keep a more unified vine and leaf scheme.

post-18914-036745400 1300758810_thumb.jp

Edited by docdomek

By the middle x I would take the leaf past the stem downwards just a little bit, the empty space doesn't look right nor does the leaf ending under the stem, its to blunt a leaf ending

New to leatherwork, but I do lots of other artwork so get flow and design :-)

Natalie