rpaladin

leather size (oz)

I have made two pouch type knife sheaths for myself.

some guys said I could make them for guys on the knife board i hang out on.

asking I have been told to get 8-9 oz leather.

well thats great info.. what the hell does that mean?

how would I id that if I find scrap at say a flea market, or yard sale???

tnx for your time.../ al

Howdy the 8 to 9 oz is the think ness of the leather and if im thinking right it is about 1/4 inch. As for a good place to get the leather your local tandy or you can call Sheridan leather outfiters and thay can ship you what you might need. The thing about swap meets and yard sales you never know hold old the leather is and lot's of times the old leather is hard and tuff to work with.

Russell

ps mp me if you need a number for sheridan leather

Looks like I may revive an old post, but....

Doesn't the ounce weight equal that of a one square foot piece of leather?

For instance, a square foot of 8-9 ounce leather weighs 8-9 ounces.

No.

Leather is measured in 64ths of an inch. Since leather is not made in a factory on rollers, it varies in thickness, which is why the hides come in a "range" like 8-9 oz.

1oz = 1/64 inch = .015625 inch = 0.396875 millimeters

The "ounce" designation has nothing to do with weight, only thickness.

Johanna

When I was first getting started in leatherwork I made up some "cards" to indicate the different thicknesses of leather.

From a 4-5oz. piece of leather I would cut out a rectangle about the size of a business card. I then edged, stamped, and dyed the "card". The stamping included "4 - 5 OZ." along with some decorative border.

I did the same thing with various other leathers, and kept them on my work bench as a reminder of what the various thicknesses looked and felt like. At the time, (remember, I was just getting started then) it was a fun and useful way of practicing some basic skills.

Leather is measured in 64ths of an inch. Since leather is not made in a factory on rollers, it varies in thickness, which is why the hides come in a "range" like 8-9 oz.

1oz = 1/64 inch = .015625 inch = 0.396875 millimeters

The "ounce" designation has nothing to do with weight, only thickness.

Johanna

Actually we're both partially right. From Wikipedia:

In some parts of the world, top-grain thicknesses are described using weight units of ounces. Although the statement is in ounces only, it is an abbreviation of ounces per square foot. The thickness value can be obtained by the conversion:

1 oz/ft² = 1/64 inch (0.4 mm) Hence, leather described as 7 to 8 oz is 7/64 to 8/64 inches (2.8 to 3.2 mm) thick. The weight is usually given as a range because the inherent variability of the material makes ensuring a precise thickness very difficult. Other leather manufacturers state the thickness directly in millimeters.

http://' target="_blank">

I like the oz/ft² thing better. Of course some yoho is going to want to go metric with

6oz should be 1.83 kg/meter².

At least it is easier to convert to kg/hectare and kg/kilometer².....you just move the decimal point (that's what they always say).

It is just a bunch of hoooy measuring or specifying the actual thickness of the leather.

Art

Actually we're both partially right. From Wikipedia:

In some parts of the world, top-grain thicknesses are described using weight units of ounces. Although the statement is in ounces only, it is an abbreviation of ounces per square foot. The thickness value can be obtained by the conversion:

1 oz/ft² = 1/64 inch (0.4 mm) Hence, leather described as 7 to 8 oz is 7/64 to 8/64 inches (2.8 to 3.2 mm) thick. The weight is usually given as a range because the inherent variability of the material makes ensuring a precise thickness very difficult. Other leather manufacturers state the thickness directly in millimeters.

<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>

"It is just a bunch of hoooy measuring or specifying the actual thickness of the leather."

HAHA! I hear ya'! I like TrooperChuck's method of making some sample swatches. I guess it all boils down to what you feel is best for any project you want to tackle.

Math, shmath! :dunno::wacko:

-Andy

Hi Andy,

The only thing the weight/thickness is good for is selling or ordering leather. That's why Wickett and Craig will send you a sample string and HO has a swatch card. Lets see, I'm in the shop and see that I need a piece of 3.5oz calf. I suddenly realize I am OUT of 3.5 oz calf (irrespective of the fact that I might never have been IN of 3.5oz calf) and well heck, I guess I can't work on this till I get some (the question is just what am I going to get some of, but that's another story). Now what really happens. I need a piece of calf, so I go over to my calf stash and find something that will work, might be goat, might be the good Italian stuff, as long as it will work, 2oz, 3oz, 4oz, so really it is my hand that determines what I'm going to use, not what is marked on the flesh.

Art

"It is just a bunch of hoooy measuring or specifying the actual thickness of the leather."

HAHA! I hear ya'! I like TrooperChuck's method of making some sample swatches. I guess it all boils down to what you feel is best for any project you want to tackle.

Math, shmath! :dunno::wacko:

-Andy

I don't know where I heard that, but that's what I had always thought, too. Check the "Ounce" listing at the bottom of the Siegel of California page here:

Ounce

Measurement of the thickness of leather. 1 ounce = 1/64 inch = 0.4 mm. In theory, this measurement is based on the assumption that one square foot of leather will weigh a certain number of ounces and will be a certain uniform thickness. Hence, one square foot of leather which would weigh 3 ounces theoretically would be a 3-ounce leather. However, in practice, this rule varies because of the specific gravity of diverse tanning materials used, and for that reason, a splitter’s gauge has been adopted to control the thickness of leather when sold by the square foot.

L'Bum