DenverLeather

Buying 1St Machine - Help!

Hello all,

I've been trolling this board for quite some time now, and finally signed up to join into the mess! I have a few projects I'm about to begin and, having spent (probably) 80 hours researching machines, I'm about to buy my first machine. The HEAVIEST thing I will be sewing, is 2 (two) 5-6 oz. pieces of leather together - with thin welting between them. My other projects will be using much thinner leather.

I feel that I will need a cylinder arm w/ walking foot, and have been eyeing a Singer 153. That said, in your expert opinions (if anyone has experience with this machine), is this machine capable of the tasks? Or should I go with a heavier machine? Any thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

AB

Hello all,

I've been trolling this board for quite some time now, and finally signed up to join into the mess! I have a few projects I'm about to begin and, having spent (probably) 80 hours researching machines, I'm about to buy my first machine. The HEAVIEST thing I will be sewing, is 2 (two) 5-6 oz. pieces of leather together - with thin welting between them. My other projects will be using much thinner leather.

I feel that I will need a cylinder arm w/ walking foot, and have been eyeing a Singer 153. That said, in your expert opinions (if anyone has experience with this machine), is this machine capable of the tasks? Or should I go with a heavier machine? Any thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

AB

Welcome to the boards! A cylinder walking foot like a Singer 153 or similar would be fine for sewing 2 5-6oz pieces of leather, and also some thinner projects as well by switching to a smaller needle/thread size. Welting feet are also available for this machine. Make sure you find something equipped with a servo motor to allow you to control the speed of your stitching. You can check some of the dealers on this site who offer this style of machine.

Cheers,

Ron

The 153w101 and the 153w103 are the machines you want. These are needle feed walking foot machines that are a lot like the famed 111s. They also use 111 feet which are plentiful and come in many variations for different tasks. It will do pretty much what you want. Get a speed reducer and servo motor (there is one with the reducer in the motor that will handle that machine and is pretty much a bolt for bolt swap) and you will have just what you need. As always make sure the machine is tight.

Art

Hello all,

Thanks all!

AB

Ron & Art:

Thanks guys! It's good to know that I was on the right track! I went ahead and ordered a 153k103, with a Servo motor with built-in speed reducer. Next project: building a table, putting it all together, and turning the machine on without severing a finger...... Just kidding. Appreciate the input!

AB

Before you "build" you own table consider harbor freight, delivered. Or just GOOGLE used sewing tables. Worth, better than doing.!!!

Before you "build" you own table consider harbor freight, delivered. Or just GOOGLE used sewing tables. Worth, better than doing.!!!

I just posted on the "wanted" board, without seeing this... If Harbor Freight carries these, I'll definitely give them a look! Thanks Kayak!!

it doesn't appear the Harbor Freight has any tables designated as "sewing tables".......

Be sure to scour craigslist. I have scene many good looking sewing machine benches on there from time to time.