sfcdan

Sewing Velcro On Leather

I bought my first 441 clone in 2008.  Along with the machine, I purchased 277 thread, and a two inch sticky velcro that came in 15 foot rolls, from Home Depot.  I used the sticky velcro on leather until this year when I finally ran out of the roll that I purchased in 2008.  Surprisingly, I also ran out of the 277 thread.  

I purchased a new roll of 277 thread, and a new roll of sticky velcro to continue sewing the velcro onto the leather.  The problem I'm having now with the new combo, is that the needle is picking up the glue from the sticky velcro when I stitch them together causing the thread to stick to the needle.  When this happens I get about four stitches then the thread sticks to the needle and the machine stops working.  

At first I though it was the nylon thread and purchased polyester thread to remedy the problem, but I then discovered that the polyester thread was giving me the same results.  I tried just about everything and the only solution that sometimes works is waxing the needle prior to stitching sticky velcro to leather.  Waxing the needle works, but even this gives me poor results because the needle ends up skipping one or two stitches in the process.  

I also have a Tippmann that I purchased prior to my 441 clone.  I refused to give up the Tippmann because I like using both machines.  When i stitch the sticky velcro onto the leather with the Tippmann, i don't have the above mentioned problem.  I'm able to sew the velcro on the leather with ease.  I thought it may have been a needle problem so I switched the 441 needle with the the Tippmann and the 207 thread I was using on the Tippmann, but I received the same results.  I tried just about everything to prevent the needle from picking up glue as I stitch velcro onto leather.  I suspect that the last roll of velcro I purchased had poor glue because it didnt' stick to the leather as good as this new roll, but since I don't have the old box, I can't verify this.  If any one else has had this issue, any information to fix it would be greatly appreciated.     

I've had this problem when sewing the self-adhesive Velcro. I fixed it by running the thread through the oil bath . . . it stops the needle from picking up the adhesive.

I bought my first 441 clone in 2008. Along with the machine, I purchased 277 thread, and a two inch sticky velcro that came in 15 foot rolls, from Home Depot. I used the sticky velcro on leather until this year when I finally ran out of the roll that I purchased in 2008. Surprisingly, I also ran out of the 277 thread.

I purchased a new roll of 277 thread, and a new roll of sticky velcro to continue sewing the velcro onto the leather. The problem I'm having now with the new combo, is that the needle is picking up the glue from the sticky velcro when I stitch them together causing the thread to stick to the needle. When this happens I get about four stitches then the thread sticks to the needle and the machine stops working.

At first I though it was the nylon thread and purchased polyester thread to remedy the problem, but I then discovered that the polyester thread was giving me the same results. I tried just about everything and the only solution that sometimes works is waxing the needle prior to stitching sticky velcro to leather. Waxing the needle works, but even this gives me poor results because the needle ends up skipping one or two stitches in the process.

I also have a Tippmann that I purchased prior to my 441 clone. I refused to give up the Tippmann because I like using both machines. When i stitch the sticky velcro onto the leather with the Tippmann, i don't have the above mentioned problem. I'm able to sew the velcro on the leather with ease. I thought it may have been a needle problem so I switched the 441 needle with the the Tippmann and the 207 thread I was using on the Tippmann, but I received the same results. I tried just about everything to prevent the needle from picking up glue as I stitch velcro onto leather. I suspect that the last roll of velcro I purchased had poor glue because it didnt' stick to the leather as good as this new roll, but since I don't have the old box, I can't verify this. If any one else has had this issue, any information to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

I use the Velcro without the self adhesive, a little bit of maters glue makes it sticky in order to sew it down. I have not had this problem before.

Try running the thread through a pot of silicon thread lube. You can buy a bolt on, or magnetic mount lube pot and quarts of liquid silicon from Bob Kovar: 866-362-7397. This is what I am using to lubricate my thread.

I just want to say thanks for the information guys.  I actually purchased Velcro without adhesive, it will take time to get used to it since I liked the convenience of sticky Velcro, but I haven't given up on it completely.  I think I will try the silicone bath, or the oil.  Thanks again,

Sincerely, 

D. Valencia.

I just want to say thanks for the information guys. I actually purchased Velcro without adhesive, it will take time to get used to it since I liked the convenience of sticky Velcro, but I haven't given up on it completely. I think I will try the silicone bath, or the oil. Thanks again,

Sincerely,

D. Valencia.

It's likely a different grade of velcro. There are 3 standard types of adhesive used on store bought velcro: fabrics use (lightest), crafters (medium) and industrial/automotive (hard core). The crafters doesn't gum a needle too bad but if you're sewing both sides on, look for the fabric use grade. I'd guess you probably picked up industrial adhesive velcro this time. I use is often with my motorcycle tank bibs and it will gum up and trap a needle faster than you can let off the pedal. Silicone lubricant works well in most cases.

For the non-adhesive velcro, try the matters glue or you can get quilters binding tape. The tape goes on quick & easy, no mess and will hold it in place while you sew it in.

Chris