Hey All,

It's been a while since we last posted on Leather Worker. Allot of it is due to our office space relocation and we have also been hard at work with private label stuff. But I'm happy to announce that we just came out with our new design for the Ipad 2. It's a leather book cover case which protects your unit from dings and scratches but yet aesthetic and very functional. Leather Case lays completely on it's back and also detaches from exterior shell and stands on its own.

Let us know what you think? This is the first design but we will be coming out with many more flavors to this case. Custom designs are welcomed.

-J

post-6495-068105500 1309198702_thumb.gif

post-6495-036083800 1309198710_thumb.gif

post-6495-062667700 1309198718_thumb.gif

Really nice cover there Joe!

Thanks

Really nice cover there Joe!

Looks great! May I ask what technique you used for the coloring on the exterior? I'm assuming you dappled a nearly dry sponge or something to that effect along the perimeter? I've wanted to try something like that on my holsters, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Looks great! May I ask what technique you used for the coloring on the exterior? I'm assuming you dappled a nearly dry sponge or something to that effect along the perimeter? I've wanted to try something like that on my holsters, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Looks good but it appears that the cover will add a lot of weight. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the ipad itself is strapped to an inner case that protects the back of the ipad and then that inner case snaps into a larger folio style case. If I'm correct that means in order to use the rear facing camera you would have to remove both the inner case and outer folio case as well. having a case that adds too much weight and makes it difficult to use the camera could be problematic for the end user. I'm an ipad2 owner / user and i've already returned two different cases b/c of each of these issues. A case that adds a lot of weight causes fatigue in your hands / wrists when reading on the ipad for prolonged periods of time.

The weight is light as that was one of thing we considered with this design also it's not bulky at all fits comfortably in your hands just like a regular magazine would just a tad bit wider. Thanks for bringing up the back portion of the unit, since I did not provide photos of it, none of the buttons, camera, speakers are blocked and or covered so there is no need to remove it from the case. We sculpted the back / stand portion around all the gadgets in the units :). We had been paying attention to a few other cases and noticed all that you mentioned hence we came out with this one.

Thanks for the feedback though, really appreciate it :)

Looks good but it appears that the cover will add a lot of weight. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like the ipad itself is strapped to an inner case that protects the back of the ipad and then that inner case snaps into a larger folio style case. If I'm correct that means in order to use the rear facing camera you would have to remove both the inner case and outer folio case as well. having a case that adds too much weight and makes it difficult to use the camera could be problematic for the end user. I'm an ipad2 owner / user and i've already returned two different cases b/c of each of these issues. A case that adds a lot of weight causes fatigue in your hands / wrists when reading on the ipad for prolonged periods of time.

I checked out your website and you have some amazing products, I really wish I didn't already have an ipad case b/c I like your manila folder case (it's very similar to the Steve case that timbuk2 put out when the air was first released) a lot.

Made some tweaks and adjustments to our initial prototype and now we are very happy. Let us know what you think????

This is a Kindle 3 Book Cover Case.

-J

post-6495-061996000 1309989579_thumb.gif

post-6495-013214300 1309989588_thumb.gif

post-6495-045619100 1309989595_thumb.gif

post-6495-090957000 1309989602_thumb.gif

post-6495-070136300 1309989611_thumb.gif

post-6495-002043600 1309989621_thumb.gif

I've been looking at your work on Etsy and I am really impressed! Can I ask how you get the images/type on your leather? My fiance suggested it may be a rubber stamp with a special kind of ink that will not rub off, but one of your kindle cases is covered with type and I've never seen a stamp that big.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dennis

I've been looking at your work on Etsy and I am really impressed! Can I ask how you get the images/type on your leather? My fiance suggested it may be a rubber stamp with a special kind of ink that will not rub off, but one of your kindle cases is covered with type and I've never seen a stamp that big.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dennis

My first thought was laser or pyrography. But on the website it says that the images are hand drawn. I have done tests using Sharpies and other permanent markers and it appears as though the color is fairly permanent. Not saying that these are done that way just saying that I think it's possible that it could be done that way and be colorfast.

I think I would use my laser but a good artist would be faster and more original.

I believe in previous posts he has said the graphics are burned in with a laser.

I believe in previous posts he has said the graphics are burned in with a laser.

That was my first thought. I like the looks that are achieved. Shows how a laser can be used to make great designs.

That was my first thought. I like the looks that are achieved. Shows how a laser can be used to make great designs.

I'm assuming that the equipment needed to do that is pretty expensive. Sigh. I was hoping there was a way to do that without having to spend a fortune. :P lol

Thanks for the replies. :)

Dennis Green

I'm assuming that the equipment needed to do that is pretty expensive. Sigh. I was hoping there was a way to do that without having to spend a fortune. :P lol

Thanks for the replies. :)

Dennis Green

Dennis check out pyrography. This is the art of burning wood (and leather). Think of a soldering iron with different tips. Basically you can get basic to elaborate kits with tips for varying effects. At the end of the day you can be way more creative than using the laser. I have a laser engraver and trust me when I tell you that it sometimes takes me DAYS to get an image prepped just right so that it comes out great. Granted, once done I can repeat it as much as I want.

I have not yet gotten into pyrography beyond a few poor experiments with the soldering iron (not suitable for this). But I have a competitor who does it and people seem to like his designs. He calls it a Cue Tattoo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyrography

http://www.suewalters.com/

collection.jpg

Here are the machines you need:

http://www.patrickfaleur.com/pyrography/wpage4.htm

That is amazing work! Unfortunately I am not an artist. I'm great with Photoshop so I was hoping to find a way to create a design on the computer and transfer it to the leather. :)

I think I found a thread that shows how it may be done. This method talks about using laser printers and transferring with acetone or neat-lac. Here is the thread:

http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=30822&st=0&p=192777&hl=tracing&fromsearch=1entry192777

Dennis

That is amazing work! Unfortunately I am not an artist. I'm great with Photoshop so I was hoping to find a way to create a design on the computer and transfer it to the leather. :)

I think I found a thread that shows how it may be done. This method talks about using laser printers and transferring with acetone or neat-lac. Here is the thread:

http://leatherworker...=1

Dennis

Well the information is there about many techniques to transfer imagery to various substrates. Being an artist is not just about being creative it also about studying the technical part of art. There are many artists who us other people's work to make their own interpretations on other mediums. Figuring out how to do it is half the fun.

In the old days people would use carbon paper to trace images onto other things. In fact the same method that a tooler uses to impress the lines onto leather should work for pyrography - once you can see the image you only need to work on your technique in regards to shading, heat and pressure. Sounds easy?