Steven Kelley

Throat Clearance

I recently purchased a Tippmann Boss and am having an issue with the throat clearance. Tippmann states the Boss has 6" of throat clearance, but by my measurement there is only 5.25". When I'm sewing some holsters, I'm having issues with there not being enough clearance. I've attempted to change my stitching direction, but no matter what I do, with some holster designs, there just isn't enough clearance. If I had 2 hands to guide the piece, it wouldn't be such an issue. But with one working the stitch arm, and the other guiding the piece, I don't have a third hand bend the leather to get it to pass through the throat.

So I'm still within my 30 day period and can return the Boss, which I'm leaning heavily toward doing, and getting either a Cowboy CB-3500 or Cobra Class 3. I know they are virtually identical machines. Do any of you that have machines with similar clearance to these have any issues with throat clearance? I don't think I'll run into any with a 9.5" throat, but for another $300 I can just get the 16" machine and never have to worry. I'm not sure what to do. All I'm going to stitch will be holsters and belts. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I know what you are saying.But .....it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it....

go for the 16" throat... sooner or later the 16" will come in handy.

Yes i have had the same problem sewing certain items with my Boss also.

I am with Luke. I had a Boss and liked it a lot. The throat clearance was an issue with some things and you needed to plan out the attack for sure. I went to an Adler 205-64 and it was 11-1/2" maybe. Still had some problems on some things like saddle blanket wear strips and inlays on rope cans and bags. Not a big problem but sometimes it took some engineering. I have a Pro 2000 with 16" and a lot less problem.

I have to agree with Luke get the 16 inch arm no matter what brand. You will be glad you did !

Like Luke said, get the 16.5" arm model, which for Cowboy is a model CB4500 or for Cobra, a Class 4. The first time you get an order for a full size Western style drop-holster, you will appreciate the longer arm!

Right now, I use a Union Lockstitch Machine for my holsters, gun belts and weight lifting belts. It has 12 inches of clearance from the needle/awl to the body and sometimes, it just isn't enough for a flat turn. My next machine will have 16.5" of clearance. If not, it would be a waste of my money.

Luke has it correct, I think. The 16" is the new standard to be measured and the resale value in years to come will indicate that.

You may not need it now, but what are you going to sew in say five years. $300 seems like cheap insurance you only have to do one upgrade and your done.

I bought the CB4500 for those reasons and am very happy, with hindsight, for that decision.

Hey guys, this might of been some kind of record.

Bruce 10:14

Dirtclod 10:14

Wiz 10:15

Me 10:15

AND we all agreed.

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Hey guys, this might of been some kind of record.

Bruce 10:14

Dirtclod 10:14

Wiz 10:15

Me 10:15

AND we all agreed.

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

Drinks are on the house!!! :cheers: :cheers:

Simple answer.

CB has Bigger flywheel more torque. Stainless Steel Feet and Plates no stain on damp leather.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

Ok. I guess it's unanimous. 16.5" it is. Now I just need to decide between the cobra and cowboy. Can't go wrong with either I would imagine. The cowboy is a bit cheaper.

Excellent! Thanks Jim. That does make the choice a little easier. And the Cowboy seems to be about $300 less than the Cobra. Maybe the Cobra comes with more accessories, I don't know.

Thanks for all the replies. I broke the news to my wife last night, and she seemed to understand the issue with the Boss, and why I "needed" to upgrade.

Simple answer.

CB has Bigger flywheel more torque. Stainless Steel Feet and Plates no stain on damp leather.

Kindest Regards.

Jim Saddler.

Excellent! Thanks Jim. That does make the choice a little easier. And the Cowboy seems to be about $300 less than the Cobra. Maybe the Cobra comes with more accessories, I don't know.

Thanks for all the replies. I broke the news to my wife last night, and she seemed to understand the issue with the Boss, and why I "needed" to upgrade.

Hi Steven, please call all of the dealers and get as much info as possible. The info is free, and will help with your decision. Thanks, Steve

WOW. The wife understands?

I'm in love with your wife and I have't even sleaped with her ...yet,

I got CB'D to the basement! Good sales job!

You_Rock_Emoticon.gif

I recently purchased a Tippmann Boss and am having an issue with the throat clearance. Tippmann states the Boss has 6" of throat clearance, but by my measurement there is only 5.25". When I'm sewing some holsters, I'm having issues with there not being enough clearance. I've attempted to change my stitching direction, but no matter what I do, with some holster designs, there just isn't enough clearance. If I had 2 hands to guide the piece, it wouldn't be such an issue. But with one working the stitch arm, and the other guiding the piece, I don't have a third hand bend the leather to get it to pass through the throat.

So I'm still within my 30 day period and can return the Boss, which I'm leaning heavily toward doing, and getting either a Cowboy CB-3500 or Cobra Class 3. I know they are virtually identical machines. Do any of you that have machines with similar clearance to these have any issues with throat clearance? I don't think I'll run into any with a 9.5" throat, but for another $300 I can just get the 16" machine and never have to worry. I'm not sure what to do. All I'm going to stitch will be holsters and belts. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

As far as throat clearance goes, the standard rule is buy the biggest you can afford. Not a huge difference in price between the short and long arm 441 clones and it's better to have the longer arm incase you need it than to not have it when you do need it.

All dealers on this site sell a similar 16.5" stitcher with some differences in the setup, motor and accessories, your best bet is to call around and see which is the best fit for you.

Good luck!

Ron

Thanks!

buy bigger then you need. you never know what you will be wanting or needing to make.

As far as throat clearance goes, the standard rule is buy the biggest you can afford. Not a huge difference in price between the short and long arm 441 clones and it's better to have the longer arm incase you need it than to not have it when you do need it.

All dealers on this site sell a similar 16.5" stitcher with some differences in the setup, motor and accessories, your best bet is to call around and see which is the best fit for you.

Good luck!

Ron

Ron,

How come the link to the 5100 on your website says "product not found"?

Ron,

How come the link to the 5100 on your website says "product not found"?

Looks like a website error. You should be able to see it now, it's in stock and ready to ship ! (no waiting list) .

Ron