Art

Needles And Threads

9 hours ago, BelleH said:

I have a small project and just purchased some Coats & Clark Upholstery thread.  The specs say the weight is 15 lbs.  What size needle should I use with this weight of thread.  The Coats site (and chat) were not helpful.  Thanks!

A short Google search found an answer on the Sailrite website. They sell Coat and Clark 3 ply Upholstery thread and make it plain that it is Tex 70. This is one of the lighter bonded nylon threads used in leather work. It calls for a #18/110 needle. Tex 70 is also known as #69 bonded thread. It has a breaking strength of 10 to 11 pounds depending on the brand and its age. Older thread tends to snap sooner than fresh thread. It is generally used to sew wallet interiors together, or light weight upholstery seams that aren't under a lot of stress.

Thank you Wizcrafts.  I had done numerous internet searches and I sailrite didn't come up, but I had used a different search engine. Now I'm embarrassed because I should have seen that info.  Anyway, I just did a test.  I just tried searching with it again with the other search engine and sailrite didn't come up.  But then I repeated it with a Google search, and there it was!  Regardless, I now have my answer.   Thank you again.