anne newkold

Braided Bracelet

n15181838500_1606.jpg I will be doing a workshop on making this braided bracelet at The Leathercraft Guild meeting this coming Sunday. It is similar to the one that Rene Berends does. My is wrapped a bit different. I am trying to write up at tutorial on how to that I will post when I get it done.

Date:

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Time:

1:00pm - 4:00pm

Standing Bear's Trading Post

Street:

7624 Tampa Avenue

City/Town:

Reseda, CA

post-55-1212611636_thumb.jpg

n15181838500_1606.jpg I will be doing a workshop on making this braided bracelet at The Leathercraft Guild meeting this coming Sunday. It is similar to the one that Rene Berends does. My is wrapped a bit different. I am trying to write up at tutorial on how to that I will post when I get it done.

Date:

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Time:

1:00pm - 4:00pm

Standing Bear's Trading Post

Street:

7624 Tampa Avenue

City/Town:

Reseda, CA

These look very interesting from what I can see on the small photos. Can you please post some larger photos?

I'm always looking for alternatives to metal jewelry as I'm allergic to most metals except good gold, platinum and possibly titanium.

Stunning Anne, just stunning! I'd love to see how it's done and have a go. It reminds me a bit of the Shirleyz mexican roundbraid that I used on a handle with regular type of mexican on the side. I've been thinking on doing that one as a bracelet.

Does this type have a leather at the bottom with holes that you lace through?

Tom

Very nice work, looking forward to the tutorial

Hi Anne,

I am glad you are doing the class and lesson on this. I have made a bunch of these since I saw the one you were wearing in Denver a few years ago, but I still make them the way Rene shows in his video. I'd love to see how you do yours differently. I have also had some requests for a tutorial on them, and if you do one, that will save me from having to do it! Hope your class goes really well too!

Clay

Very nicely done,Ann.

I've made those a while back, I bought a DVD by Rene.

What is the difference between yours & Rene.

Could you show ?

I think yours look great !

Beautiful Anne,

I will be looking for that tutorial. I'd love to do that.

David Theobald

Stunning Anne, just stunning! I'd love to see how it's done and have a go. It reminds me a bit of the Shirleyz mexican roundbraid that I used on a handle with regular type of mexican on the side. I've been thinking on doing that one as a bracelet.

Does this type have a leather at the bottom with holes that you lace through?

Tom

Tom, they are not "through" the leather strap base, just wrapped around it and then back up the center. You will see in the tutorial I am working on. I thought it looked a bit like Shirleyz, when you posted your case. I thought about doing a belt this way until I figured out how much lace it will be! Going to do a Hat band instead soon.

Clay, on the initial wrapping I do not do the "over, under" thing. so there is no center to go under. After it is wrapped it is just 3 up 2 back. You will see. Mine lays flatter against the wrapping than Rene's way of doing it. I made mine about a year before I took Rene's class. A friend named Jeff Leida in Tulsa OK showed me how to do it. He also made one with the smallest round lace you can get with done is double rows. As soon as I do one that way I will post it. I did take Rene's class on it to see how different he does his, plus how to make the leather stone.

I will post a larger picture tonight when I get home.

Thought I would answer this during my break time real quick.

I sure look forward to that Anne!

They look like a ton of fun to make and they should be quite sellable :spoton: .

First of all I want a pair for myself!

Tom

Anne,

I think they look great. Nice work.

WINDY :You_Rock_Emoticon:

PICT0171_edited.JPGPICT0172_edited.JPGHope these are better pictures. One is the first braclet I made and then the barette. The other picture is the necklace I did in Rene's class and YES the stone is Leather too. the purple one is one that Clay made for me putting a concho in the middle.

post-55-1212805328_thumb.jpg

post-55-1212805388_thumb.jpg

Here are my instructions, Sorry no pictures yet as it is a bad essential tremor day and getting clear pictures is just not happening.

Anne Newkold Braided Bracelet

Tool and Material list:

Strap Cutter used to make to cut a strip ½” wide

3/4 or 4/5 oz Leather

Round end punch

Edge Beveler

Slicker

Rotary punch

3/32 lace

Lacing Needle

Scalpel

Barge Cement

Carnauba Cream

Soft Brush (like a shoe shine brush)

Cut leather strip to ½” wide. Cut to length of the distance around your wrist.

Using ½” round end punch to round both ends.

Using smallest hole on your rotary Punch; punch you will make 2 holes in one end and 3 in the other approx. 5/16” apart.

Use your Edger to bevel all the way around top and bottom side. Slick both end just past the inside holes.

Put lace from the top side down through one of the inside holes and use Barge cement to glue down lace to backside of strap.

Wrap lace tightly around strap. Keeping it pushed tightly together also. When you get to the end make sure to end with lace on the bottom. Bring it up through the closest hole.

Now you will begin the braid. Go 3 rounds up and 3 back. Next go 3 rounds up and 2 back, bringing the needle to the center creating a V. Next and remaining go to the next free wrap up and two back with needle always coming out in the center. Always pull lace snug but do not buckle the wraps.Continue this until you get to the other end where you will make the last loop of 3 up tuck the end under 3 or 4 of the wrap and cut it off. Tuck any raw edge under.

Coat with Carnauba cream and massage in until all of it is absorbed. As you are rubbing it in start shaping into the shape of a bracelet.

For the fastener, I use a bead and a strip of the same lace. Cut a hole in the center of the lace near the end. Like making a Bleed knot. Feed the rest back through the hole to make a tab. Run the lace tail through the bead. Cut a slot close to the bead. Feed the lace through the very end hole where you have two holes at the end of the bracelet. Put the tail end through the slot below the bead. This forms your closure. At the end of the strip, cut to a point to ease going through the other side of the bracelet. Close to that end cut a slot in the middle of the lace to form an opening which will fit over the bead on the opposite side.

Straps can be cut to any length or width you want as you have seen in other posts on this subject. I thought about making a belt that was 3 rows wide two out side row > and middle row< until I figured just how much lace that would be. You can use any width of lace making the width of the bracelet appropriate to look good. I have seen them done with 1 mm round lace that was 2 row\\ // to each.I will try to get pictures soon and add them to this when my hands are calmer.

Anne

Edited by anne newkold