evandailey

Singer 29-4

Well I jumped into a pool that I have no idea how deep it is. I found and bought an old Singer 29-4 with the cast iron base for $180. I have no idea where to go from here now. It is going to need some work to get it up and running and I suspect it could do with a total restoration (which I'm not opposed to, I just don't know where to start) In another thread Wizcrafts had told me to check the free motion of the presser foot. It does have quite a bit. Everything turns freely however the presser foot only goes forward and back, it does not "jump" for lack of a better word. It needs a belt and is missing the bobbin winder for sure, if anything else is missing I wouldn't know. So I'm basically saying I'm in over my head. I hope some of you machine gurus can point me in the right direction.

Well I jumped into a pool that I have no idea how deep it is. I found and bought an old Singer 29-4 with the cast iron base for $180. I have no idea where to go from here now. It is going to need some work to get it up and running and I suspect it could do with a total restoration (which I'm not opposed to, I just don't know where to start) In another thread Wizcrafts had told me to check the free motion of the presser foot. It does have quite a bit. Everything turns freely however the presser foot only goes forward and back, it does not "jump" for lack of a better word. It needs a belt and is missing the bobbin winder for sure, if anything else is missing I wouldn't know. So I'm basically saying I'm in over my head. I hope some of you machine gurus can point me in the right direction.

Contact Bob Kovar, owner of Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines (866-362-7397) for replacement parts for your 29-4 patcher.

The loose stitch length puck will need brazing on to take up the slack, inside the rig it rotates in. The lack of lift may be caused by incorrect placement of the movable lift puck, that slides along a cutout in the leaf spring on the back. You should take some good close up pictures of the machines, all the way around it and from the top. This will reveal missing, or misaligned parts to those who want to help you.

It could simply be that the presser foot is not set at the moment to move up and down very much. You adjust this by moving a small block held in place by a wingnut at the back of the machine, just near the head. If you move the block closer to the balance wheel the lift should increase. If not it's probably knackered!

6065669098_88263cff8a_z.jpg

Wow, congrats! That's a nice price on that machine. :)

I've got a 29-4 that I just got working with parts from Bob.

I also have several manuals that I can try to upload here. If you don't have the threader wire, you'll need one of those. You could make one but you can also find them on eBay pretty cheap. I gave $75 for my machine about 10 years ago but just recently got it working. I've spent $130 on parts, but I think I can see a need to keep it! Been pedaling and playing with it.

#69 is max on lower thread. I read that you could go up to #138 on the top, but I didn't get consistent stitches. Haven't tried #92 yet. #69 top and bottom works pretty good. I have not been able to get a very long stitch without helping feed the material through with my hand.29-4 Parts Chart.pdf

I've got several more files but they're too big to upload here. Send me your email and I'll email them to you.

Good luck,

Bobby

I've found that you really have to tighten the top thread alot to get 138 to work & then it still might give you problems,so I recommend size 92 as the largest for a 29-4.What happens is all the parts in the shuttle drive system end up getting alttie play in each part that transfer to alot of play at the shuttle that it doesn't go all the way around to realease the thread like it should.Usually the newer 29's like 29K58,70,71 & all the big bobbin machines can handle the 138 better.

Bob