jamorris

Saddle Skirt Lacing

Guys I am knew to this forum and saddlemaking and I am needing help getting a descriptive drawing of the gaucho weave that is on the back of the better saddles that I own. I have a copy of Bruce Grant's leather braiding and I don't see excactly what I am looking for (if it's there, does anyone know what page it is on) I have "How to Lace" from Tandy Leather and I don't see it in there either. I contacted Bruce Johnson and I want to thank him for helping me in the right direction with getting a copy of Dave Jones "Making and Repairing Western Saddles" and the exact braid that I am looking for is in the book, but there is a brief description of the procedure just before the picture and I am not able to duplicate it. I am just not seeing the pattern and need a better drawing. I may have it in one of the books that I listed and just haven't noticed it. If anyone knows of a book and the page that a good drawing is on, I would be grateful.

Is the type of lacing you are referring to? If no one here comes forward to help out, and I am not one that can, perhaps someone in the braiding section can point you toward an instruction video or PDF. It's not hard to do, but I dont have a way to explain it to you with pictures.

post-11406-050153800 1314724976_thumb.jp

Edited by GrampaJoel

There is a thread in titled " How to lace rear jockeys" that was posted Aug 3 2009 that has pics of this. I don't know how to include the link to go directly there but maybe someone (Denise) :rolleyes2: will. In the tutorial he takes the lace on the bottom up the same side it goes down in but you can go across and get the braid on the bottom side as well.

Hope this helps,

CW

CW - here you go. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17120&st=0 I also pinned that topic as it looked pretty useful.

To put a link in, just go to the thread you want to post the link from, go to the top of the screen where the "address" is and right click, then copy. Go back to the post where you want to put the link and paste it. Presto - the fancy computer world turns it into a link! (usually... Technology is great, when it works... :) )

CW - here you go. http://leatherworker...opic=17120&st=0 I also pinned that topic as it looked pretty useful.

To put a link in, just go to the thread you want to post the link from, go to the top of the screen where the "address" is and right click, then copy. Go back to the post where you want to put the link and paste it. Presto - the fancy computer world turns it into a link! (usually... Technology is great, when it works... :) )

Thanks Denise your the best. This world needs more Keepers of the kind word.

the saddle in the photo is a saddle that I made, the lace I used there is gigantic austrailian field mouse. I do not buy kangaroo lace, I cut and bevel the string myself. you can also use latigo lace, I split it down for this purpose.

Steve

Yes, that saddle is from a post Steve Mason made. I tried to get everything in but for some reason it wouldn't let me link to the original thread picture. Oh well, either way I couldn't find the thread about how to do it that Denise posted. So thanks to Steve for the great photo, and a great big thanks to Denise for making the thread link!

Joel

That is the lacing that I am wanting to duplicate. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to help me out. The pictures in the link are exactly what I was needing.

Thank you,

John Morris

Edited by jamorris

On YouTube there is a Texas YouTube channel called Don Gonzales. One of Hes videos had the braiding your looking for. He calls it a double diamond and he goes through every step of the process. You may have to refer back to it many times to really grasp the process. Hope this helps you out.

It's a 12 1/2 year old thread.