Ballref1962

Consew 206Rb

I have a consew 206RB need some advice from the group.

I want to either install a speed reducer or a electronic servo motor.

My question is, which would be best. I sew chaps and chinks plus I sew bridles and dog leashes, etc.

Price wise, they seem to be close in price to each other.

Thanks.

Mark

Go with the servo motor Wizcrafts raves about. He's cited some very good logic behind his reasons.

X 2 the servo , great control & more flexibility with speed choices ..

Edited by wolfe9

Now I have a question. Is it true that a speed reducer will help replace the torque lost with the slower speed of the servo? Isn't it best to have both?

Bobby

Bob,

For a straight answer, yes. Gear (pully) reduction to reduce speed should increase torque. And yes again to having both. My understanding of Wiz's comments were that the servo had plenty of torque just the way it was, even at crawling speed. The advantage of the servo was that the speed limitations of the speed reducer were omitted, allowing the user to increase the speed as needed.

Now, on a serious heavy stitcher, I do think the reducer would come into it's own, but for a little flatbed like the 206 the motor has all the ummph it needs. I don't have one (yet) but have been diligently searching for what I can afford and trying to catch all the threads (no pun intended) on the subject. Wiz called it pretty well when he said that having the slow power is good, but for long runs of stitches having some speed is nice (I consider sewing chaps to be long runs). Currently, doing a long run on a belt at anything close to "speed", means several ibuprofens and a hot pad for the achy shoulder caused by "Boss-itis".

I don't claim 'expert' status in the sewing arena, so if I'm off on my take of things please feel free to correct me,

Mike

I have a Japanese made National 300N walking foot machine. It is based on the Consew 206 and Chandler 406 machines. It originally had a 1/2 horsepower clutch motor, which worked fine. But, I got very busy sewing large quantities of guitar straps and rifle slings, both of which had sharp turns to deal with. Additionally, the slings had 2 additional layers where the lined tail joins the body and back liner. I had no real problem feathering the clutch, a few times here and there. But sewing dozens of slings and straps and having to slow right down to 1 stitch per second with a clutch motor was straining my leg.

I learned about the SewPro 500 GR motor here. I spoke to Bob Kovar (866-362-7397) about it and described how I sew. He told me that it was the right motor for my work; and, he was right. The 500GR has built in 3:1 gear reduction and a 2" (50mm) pulley. Its full speed at the shaft is 1500 RPM. My machine has a 4" pulley, so, it is running at 50% of the motor speed. This gives me a maximum speed of 750 RPM, on the machine, which is a little more than 12 stitches per second.

Because of the built in gear reduction, this motor doesn't bog down at slow speed. I routinely sew at 1 stitch every other second, around tips of belts and straps. On straight a-ways, it's flat out, 750 per minute, with smoke arisin!.

Note, as I have said often, if you buy this motor to replace a standard clutch or servo motor, buy a shorter belt with it. It sits closer to the underside of the table, by 1 belt inch. Add that to any reduced size you need for any difference in the pulley sizes from the original motor.

Edited by Wizcrafts

Bob,

For a straight answer, yes. Gear (pully) reduction to reduce speed should increase torque. And yes again to having both. My understanding of Wiz's comments were that the servo had plenty of torque just the way it was, even at crawling speed. The advantage of the servo was that the speed limitations of the speed reducer were omitted, allowing the user to increase the speed as needed.

Now, on a serious heavy stitcher, I do think the reducer would come into it's own, but for a little flatbed like the 206 the motor has all the ummph it needs. I don't have one (yet) but have been diligently searching for what I can afford and trying to catch all the threads (no pun intended) on the subject. Wiz called it pretty well when he said that having the slow power is good, but for long runs of stitches having some speed is nice (I consider sewing chaps to be long runs). Currently, doing a long run on a belt at anything close to "speed", means several ibuprofens and a hot pad for the achy shoulder caused by "Boss-itis".

I don't claim 'expert' status in the sewing arena, so if I'm off on my take of things please feel free to correct me,

Mike

I have a Juki 1541S with a servo and speed reducer. Wonderful control, lots of power and wide range of speed. Turn it up for long runs, down for slow Works great. I just come into a Ferdco 1245 that has a clutch motor and speed reducer. It has excellent control, lots of power, but lacks the option of slow or fast. I could put a larger pulley on the motor but don't know how that would effect the control. servo's are hard to beat and a speed reducer behind one makes an awesome setup. Just my 2 cents. Ken

I have the Consew 206RB5 with a 3/4 HP Servo. Servo doesn't happen to be from Bob Kovar but it is definitely similar. I also have a speed reducer.

As Wiz says, it is possible to slow the machine to one stitch per one or two seconds. I have stacked leather as high as the amount of lift, 9/16". It will work hard but it will sew it.

I find that when sewing thicker leather. stitch length is affected. You won't get 10 or 12 spi. A note: Do Not attempt to sew 1/2" of leather with the machine other than to show off. LOL

ferg

I have a consew 206RB need some advice from the group.

I want to either install a speed reducer or a electronic servo motor.

My question is, which would be best. I sew chaps and chinks plus I sew bridles and dog leashes, etc.

Price wise, they seem to be close in price to each other.

Thanks.

Mark

This has been very informative for me, too, so thanks everybody. When I replace my clutch motor on my 205 with a Servo I was told to leave the speed reducer on. On that machine I think it was important because I think I lost a little power with the Servo. It hasn't really affected my sewing and the advantage of being able to turn the speed down to a crawl far exceeds my need for power. I've been considering replacing my two speed servo on my 797 with a new one and that's why I wondered about the speed reducer.......

Bobby

Edited by hidepounder

Mark,

There are better than some available. Bob Kovar probably has some of the better ones. Mine has a "Grease Cup" at the end of the shaft, a very small grease cup BTW.

My machine started squeaking one day, I traced it to that fitting. I actually removed the cap from the grease cup, inserted the grease gun as tight as I could and placed grease that way.

As soon as I can remember to unscrew the cup I will attempt to get a "Zerk" grease fitting to fit. Probably metric.

I see no reason for not having the combination of speed reducer and the servo.

ferg

Thanks to everyone who posted.

Is there a "better" model of speed reducer or are they all similar?

Thanks again.

Mark