Sign in to follow this  
Shooter McGavin

1911 Bbq Rig

Made it last week and actually wore it to an open carry BBQ today lol.

8/9oz Hermann Oak with Ostrich Leg trim on the holster, mag carrier is 5/6oz Hermann Oak with more ostrich Leg.

Made it with the intent to sell it, but it looks so good with my Springfield Loaded Lightweight that I think I'll keep it.

Got a lot of lookie loos and handed out a bunch of cards. Had some foot long hotdogs and some awesome brownies. Sun was shining in NE Ohio, it was a good day.

IMG_3581-1Large.jpg

IMG_3586Large.jpg

As an aside, can anyone tell me where to find a good quality thread in size 277 or better. I've been using the Tippman thread that I ordered at the same time as my Boss and am a bit underwhelmed with it from time to time.

Thanks!

Weavers carries it in both nylon and poly and I believe Cobra Steve at leathermachine also carries it.

Made it last week and actually wore it to an open carry BBQ today lol.

8/9oz Hermann Oak with Ostrich Leg trim on the holster, mag carrier is 5/6oz Hermann Oak with more ostrich Leg.

Made it with the intent to sell it, but it looks so good with my Springfield Loaded Lightweight that I think I'll keep it.

Got a lot of lookie loos and handed out a bunch of cards. Had some foot long hotdogs and some awesome brownies. Sun was shining in NE Ohio, it was a good day.

IMG_3581-1Large.jpg

IMG_3586Large.jpg

As an aside, can anyone tell me where to find a good quality thread in size 277 or better. I've been using the Tippman thread that I ordered at the same time as my Boss and am a bit underwhelmed with it from time to time.

Thanks!

fantastic. love the ostrich.

Great looking holster! I always like the black with white thread combination.

I like it as well. There is an OC event being planned near my digs that I think I should attend.

I sent you a PM.

I am usually just lurking and learning on here, but thought this needed posted about, good job!

I would like to know when you use exotics do you first glue it to a piece of Veg tanned cow? I am thinking for the holster you did, to also get reinforcement but on the mag holder it looks thin like you just used the ostrich? Also how do the exotics burnish? I would like to try some sometime, maybe shark? How does that work out, if you ever used it?

As for the thread, I found this huge thread website...http://www.thethread...ylon-thread-277

PS. Love the grip's too!

Edited by BEARDOG

Great looking work Shooter. I usually use a contrasting inlay, but the black on black really looks good in this rig. Mike

Thanks all for the compliments!

A few days before the BBQ one of my buddies said since he doesnt have a BBQ gun he al teast wanted a nice holster for his Glock. Gave him some options, this was the net result.

Glock 19 pancake in Black Cherry with skull and crossbones stamp on trim panel.

He was very happy and put it on right away :)

IMG_3556Medium.jpg

IMG_3564Medium.jpg

Good looks as usual shooter. Haven't played with Ostrich leg yet but the more I see it the more I like it.

For thread, try The Thread Exchange (www.thethreadexchange.com). Good prices and reasonable shipping plus they tell you who the manufacturer if the thread you are buying is. Clearance section can garner some good deals as well - just picked up a 32oz spool of bonded white Nylon in 554 for $13.

Thank you to both of you that pointed me towards The Thread Exchange.

BEARDOG: You nailed it. The holster trim has a piece of 3-4 oz behind it, and the mag carrier is put right onto the front piece of leather. It's sanded and burnished nicely with the veg-tan backing, not so much without it. But it's so thin and the piece on the mag carrier is so small it's barely noticeable. Shark and elephant both burnish rather nicely. I use power tools to speed the process though.

jlaudio: I picked up the ostrich leg from Springfield Leather. It was originally cognac in color, but I dyed it black.

katsass: I usually do contrasting colors as well, but thought that this would be better all black with the white stitching.

Wish we had the ability to HAVE open carry BBQs here in Kalifornia. It could do my income some good. It's possible that way up north, in the rural counties where folks are real, that there might be one or two now and then, held very quietly, but generally speaking, in a state where open carry with an unloaded gun is actually legal, to even think about such a shindig would likely produce a raid by local and State law enforcement (and at least 700 members of the press) ...... and all participants would end in the damned hoosegow! No one might be charged, but the do-gooders with stars in their eyes, along with the biased press would have a field day, lasting at least a week. I have a few ideas bouncing around in my mostly vacant punkin, but until I have call for any of that sort of work, my stuff stays pretty plain and basically utilitarian Mike

Edited by katsass

Shooter,

That is one of the best glock holsters I have seen. I think glocks are great pistols but are very ugly. That holster really compliments a good gun.