Anyone playing with these have any comments on the finishes? For whatever reason, I'm having a heck of a time getting Resoleen to wear well and am looking for alternatives (using the mop-and-glow finish at the moment with initial nice results but am concerned with how well it will wear).

I just bought a full set of the Eco Flo Professional Waterstains... I make jewelry so I really need a product that is not going to rub off. I want to mix some pretty colors... like lavender and burnt orange...

Any idea how I would get lavender?

thnx...

J.

This is a great conversation. I just bought a complete set of the waterstains and am researching color mixing.

I happened across this blog about waterstain application testing. http://www.willghormley-maker.com/OldDogsAndNewTricks.html

I would like to make a lavender color and a burnt orange... so any color mixing suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

I read Will Ghormley's article on this stain some time ago. Purchased dark brown, tan, black. I have used this product on molded epee pen cases, cell phone cases, holsters, belts and leather coverd buckles. so far it has held up well on all items and looks great. My grandson has a molded paddle style epee pen case that he wears daily, little boys are rough on things and I told him not to spare it as we can make another one if needed. the case is pretty beat up but the finish still looks good. his mother reports that it does not rub off on his pants. it also gives good results as an edge dye. To get the best results the best application seems to be anything used to apply it in circular motion until absorbed and blended together, then stop. It does not hurt if the leather is a little damp when applied either just be liberal with the dye. you can apply a second layer and it stilll blends in well with the first coat.

One thing that I forgot to mention on this post last night was that if you try to bend a strap with this product at 180 deg for a buckle, d ring, pet snap or whatever. Be very carefull as the product will crack across the bend. You need to recondition the leather to do this. I also discovered this morning that you can soak the bend section in water and it will absorb thru the stain. I kept it in the water until the bubbles started to come out and a little longer. By bending it slowly and applying a clamp it worked out fine. I am going to try that again on heaver material to see how it works out.

I do not usually revive posts that are so old, but I found this today and though I would share it here. The article is well written, and the testing this man does convinces me that the Ecoflow Waterstain product line is well-worth my money. He shows the results of wet and dry applications, and an abrasive test (both bare, and with protective finishes). Here is the link to the article: http://www.willghormley-maker.com/OldDogsAndNewTricks.html

I have a lot of success with this product. I apply it in the traditional way and am wanting to explore using it with a spray gun. I am wondering if anyone has a recommended ratio of water to stain when using a spray gun? I am looking to use a siphon-feed detail spray gun. Thanks for any feedback!

55 minutes ago, Kristina said:

I have a lot of success with this product. I apply it in the traditional way and am wanting to explore using it with a spray gun. I am wondering if anyone has a recommended ratio of water to stain when using a spray gun? I am looking to use a siphon-feed detail spray gun. Thanks for any feedback!

I did a hide a while back.  I was recovering some stools.  I used a suction feed Develbis paint gun.  I diluted the Waterstain (or Fenice Dye as it is called before Tandy relabels it) about half with water.  I was able to get very even coverage with the paint gun.  I used most of the bottle on the veg tanned hide.   An interesting point with the Dye /Stain definition, the ONLY reason this is a stain and not a dye is because Tandy decided to call it that.  Dye is a synonym for stain. 

On 4/19/2017 at 4:52 PM, electrathon said:

I did a hide a while back.  I was recovering some stools.  I used a suction feed Develbis paint gun.  I diluted the Waterstain (or Fenice Dye as it is called before Tandy relabels it) about half with water.  I was able to get very even coverage with the paint gun.  I used most of the bottle on the veg tanned hide.   An interesting point with the Dye /Stain definition, the ONLY reason this is a stain and not a dye is because Tandy decided to call it that.  Dye is a synonym for stain. 

Hey thanks for your input. I JUST got a Paasche H-SET Single-Action Siphon Feed Airbrush Set. It was recommended to me by a family member who is a leatherworker.  I'll give your ratio recommendation a try. I, too, am using it on veg tanned leather.