Truckie

Hello

Hello All. My name is Brandon and I am a firefighter looking to get into the art of leatherworking. I am sub-novice to say the least. I have been becoming more and more interested iin this art after seeing some custom work around the firehouse. I would just like to start with making some personal items for myself and maybe doing some stuff for some co-workers in the future. would very much appreciate any tips or hints anyone could give me on getting started. By no means am I asking for personal trade secrets. I would like to start off making a radio strap/holster.

One thing I've noticed is some people making custom itens with patches, logos or emblems. How in the world could I take my department patch and put it on a piece of leather????

Thanks in advance for anything you guys have to offer me. I look forward to discussing things here with you.

Welcome to the forum. You will find thousands of help notes in the Archives, may take several hours to read them all but.... Better get started.

ferg

Hello All. My name is Brandon and I am a firefighter looking to get into the art of leatherworking. I am sub-novice to say the least. I have been becoming more and more interested iin this art after seeing some custom work around the firehouse. I would just like to start with making some personal items for myself and maybe doing some stuff for some co-workers in the future. would very much appreciate any tips or hints anyone could give me on getting started. By no means am I asking for personal trade secrets. I would like to start off making a radio strap/holster.

One thing I've noticed is some people making custom itens with patches, logos or emblems. How in the world could I take my department patch and put it on a piece of leather????

Thanks in advance for anything you guys have to offer me. I look forward to discussing things here with you.

Welcome to the forum Truckie! I would advise you to go by your local Tandy store or other leather related store to see about getting some instruction under your belt. As you progress, you can buy the tools you need and go from there. As for the patch or logo replication..........you can do this with some experience under your belt. You will have to know how each of your tools work and how you handle them to get the best out of leathercraft. Sit back, relax and check our archives for a ton of information and resource here.

Hello Brandon!

Welcome here!

I am also new here but already i can tell you : the place and the people are good!

;)

Anything i can tell you that i ve learnt and experienced?

(no later than last night, i had a reminder of it)

Regarding leather :

Always stay cool otherwise the leatther will win the battle

As said King => sit back, relax and when something goes wrong : put it aside for a moment, breath in , breath out....and it will finally work (1 way or another!!)

;)

Welcome to LW, now RUN, RUN FAR...................no, okay then, this site is probably the best source of information you will ever have, yes go to TANDY and get a starter kit, it will have a few tools you can start with and someone there should be able to teach you the basics of each tool. One thing I do is go to youtube and just type in leatherworking and just start clicking.

Bryan