Kcinnick

What Is The Difference Between A Cobra And Cowboy?

Ray,

That info is like Sewing 201. You buy your first machine, you are taking Sewing 101, after you have been at it a while, you advance to Sewing 201. You have to understand how the machine works (not much, but a little bit) before you try something like the holster/bag/stirrup plate. Grasshopper, you must get over your fear and master the screwdriver. It might require a session or two with Bob to get it right, but it ain't rocket science.

Art

I wish i knew what you guys were talking about......I have the CB3500 and I THINK those parts you'z guys are referring to are available for it.....but again, I haven't a clue....

It's just me and my edge guide......

(Bob, if you're "listening" give me a call....I believe a lesson session is in order)

I'm with you there, as the feed dog also acts as a needle guide. However, I wonder a little about needle deflection with the bag/stirrup/holster plate and having it miss the hole and strike the plate or the feed dog. Maybe I would chamfer the hole in the feed dog to give a little more relief in case of a little over zealous deflection by the operator.

Just a thought,

Art

I like that idea about chamfering the top of the needle slot in the feed dog, even when used with the stock throat plate.

My friend at M&M Leather ran into a problem where the stock feed dog and throat plate had too much width for some of the jobs to be sewn (they were falling into the slot). So, he had a friend in a machine shop grind down the sides of the feed dog, to just clear the hole and had a new throat plate made to just clear the feeder. The plate's slot was also shortened to match the actual travel of the feeder, at the longest stitch length. This alleviated the trouble that first cropped up when using the Cobra to sew garment leather belts, chap straps or very narrow straps for things like purses.

The narrow feeder still moves the bigger projects, so it was a win-win to create the narrow set.

For those moving into 441 Sewing 201, if you install one of the feed dogless throat plates, your stitch length will decrease. You can alleviate the drag somewhat by backing off the top foot pressure adjuster, over the presser foot bar.. You may still need to move the stitch lever down a bit to regain the previous stitch length.

Be careful to not back off the pressure so far that the leather lifts as the needle pulls out of it!

Thanks for all the help.

I am sure I won't figure it all out until I put needle to thread, but I am pretty sure about the dealer and machine I will be purchasing.

Thanks again.