Sign in to follow this  
jlaudio29

My First Herman Oak Holster!

So I finally decided to buy me some herman oak.

This is some very nice stuff. The smell is different then tandy leather and smells like id expect leather to smell! it seems to except the die better then the stuff i was using, as well as it seems to except the finishing product better too.

Im definitly hooked now!!

Oh the holster came out nice too i think :)

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0628.jpg

Nice looking holster! I was amazed at the difference when I started using H.O. instead of the Tandy hides.

Good looking holster. Nice colors, good stitching and nice molding.

I started with W&C, I worked in a machine shop and raw materials are a big factor in end result. The holster looks very nice and stitching superb, I'm glad to hear your happy with it!

Edited by Eaglestroker

Yah hand stitched! id love to have a cowboy 3500 but i dont have the extra $1500 to buy one right now, hopefully in the new year!

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Particle - yah i knew it had to be better but was waiting to pull the trigger, i bought a dummy gun from a holster maker going out of buisness and he sent me a few samples of herman oak so that sold me.

Eaglestroker - Im a welder/fabricator by trade so i know what you mean, try running a tig bead on garbage aluminum! Ive heard good things about wickett and craig and maybe at somepoint ill give them a try!

Edited by jlaudio29

I started with W&C, I worked in a machine shop and raw materials are a big factor in end result. The holster looks very nice and stitching superb, I'm glad to hear your happy with it!

How would you compare W&C to herman oak, W&C allows you to buy their best grade at lower limits than Herman and Oak. You need to sides to order from Herman oak.

I use Hermann Oak (yes, Hermann has 2 n's) too and it is good stuff. I think it makes a nice product. Your holster looks great!

If you ever get a chance to go to the Hermann Oak tannery in St Louis, go see the tannery. I recently toured it a few months ago and it was very interesting. The vats that they use for tanning are the same wooden vats they started the company with around 1880. Hides are in the tanning solution for around 21 days or so. Same process since 1880's. Just wear an old pair of shoes. Hermann Oak staff was very nice and accomodating.

Thanks for the kind words!

Id love to tour the factory some day! ive seen a video of there operation and it looks awesome!

kcinnick - You can by herman oak in any quantity you want from springfield leather, you do not need to buy whole side which is AWESOME! you can buy as little as 2sqft?? i think or maybe 4sqft. Herman oak is the same grade as WC some will say Herman oak is above WC and some will say WC is about Herman oak... but either way they are both the top leather tanners in the US.

How would you compare W&C to herman oak, W&C allows you to buy their best grade at lower limits than Herman and Oak. You need to sides to order from Herman oak.

I have not used Hermann Oak, I liked that I could buy direct from W&C and they got my business. I would still like to try HO but it's just been a "ain't broke don't fix it" mentality for me thus far.