UKRay

Making Leather Bowls

I've been doing a lot of wet forming lately and decided to make a few leather bowls. Not much to write home about although they worked well enough to hold loose change. I'm interested to know if anyone else has experimented with bowl making? How did you get on? Got any tips for designing a good 'un?

My biggest concern was finishing the bowl, after it had dried, without squashing it out of shape. Anyone got any thoughts? I wondered about airbrushing...

Ray

I've been doing a lot of wet forming lately and decided to make a few leather bowls. Not much to write home about although they worked well enough to hold loose change. I'm interested to know if anyone else has experimented with bowl making? How did you get on? Got any tips for designing a good 'un?

My biggest concern was finishing the bowl, after it had dried, without squashing it out of shape. Anyone got any thoughts? I wondered about airbrushing...

Ray

..............YES I DO............

Ray

I've actually tossed the idea around a bit myself as I used to turn dozens of wooden salad bowls a year for a local gallery. One thought I had for forming was to turn a form using two bowls of corresponding thicknesses and then once dry, you can simply use the forms to support the leather bowl when finishing. They should hold their shape rather well if made with 5/6oz or thicker without squashing but most folks that would buy a leather bowl should know that it will be more fragile than a wood, plastic or ceramic one.

The other thought was waterproofing. There's a product for wood called mirror coat which is essentially a brushable liquid epoxy finish for bar tops, and other furniture. When cured it's actually gasoline and fire proof (yep, tested it...doesn't hold up if yuo apply fire to the gas soaked wood though...LOL) and stiffens the fibers quite a bit. Only drawback is it completely seals the grain texture so it would end up being a leather bowl encased in epoxy. Just some thoughts...

What about boiling, or some other heat hardening?

As to waterproofing, I would use Sno-Seal which is a beeswax based product that is an excellent waterproofing agent. Have used it for years on my hiking boots.

Thanks, Luke. Most helpful. I'll talk to you later... LMAO

I have made a few bowls using a simple glass bowl as a mould (mold?), pulling the leather down over it to form the finished shape. I stained the dried bowl using Fiebings Pro dye and finished with Atom Wax. It kinda worked out nicely but I'd like to improve the technique a little.

Interestingly, the bowls I made are quite tough and plenty hard enough for loose change

Spinner, I don't want to spend hard earned cash getting moulds turned from wood if there is a better way to do this (although I'm pretty certain that it is the most effective way to form the leather). I suspect I'll end up there in the end lol!

Has anyone made square dishes with simple bits of wood or used any other cheap former?

Pictures would be a real help guys.

Ray

Here is a post on wet forming bags that may help you. With some wooden blocks, wood rasps and sandpaper I think you could produce the forms you desire.

By Magikelly

wet forming bags

Edited by MtDweller

I've done a bit of wetforming in recent years but that pouch is truly excellent. Here is a pic of my latest project - which is how I came to think about making leather bowls...

Ray

post-6314-038772200 1318708870_thumb.jpg

several months ago i was at a dog event, as a vendor, and i met another vendor that was selling these travel water bowls that i'd never seen before. it's essentially a flat square pliable piece of plastic with two snaps per corner, when you snap each corner together the flat piece of plastic forms a shallow square shaped bowl (if I was home I'd take a picture of it and post it). the design in very simple and it's easy to keep in your back pocket when your out walking your dog. i thought about making one out of leather but never got around to ordering snaps and essentially forgot about it. two days ago I walked into a hermes store, b/c i'm a huge fan of their design and craftsmanship (i wish could afford their leather products), and i see the same travel bowl made out of leather. the hermes bowl isn't for dogs but for travelers who want a small bowl to keep their keys / change in when they're at their hotel.

It's definately not the same type of wet formed bowl you guys are talking about , but it is a leather bowl. after seeing the hermes bowl, i'm going to order some snaps and make some for holiday gifts for friends and family. i'm kinda kicking myself for not following through with making one earlier since I did purchase one of the plastic ones, when i was at the dog event.

I've done a bit of wetforming in recent years but that pouch is truly excellent. Here is a pic of my latest project - which is how I came to think about making leather bowls...

Ray

ray - have you ever thought about doing a tutorial on making these? i think it would be really cool to see the process.

Ray you might want to do a search for Rex Lingwoods work he makes alot of leather bowls more art type than functional though, I believe he has a book as well but I'm not sure if it's in print anymore.

Cheers,

Clair

I've used hot water to stiffen some cases and knife sheaths. There is a topic here on doing that some where on this website. Rob

Very cool stuff Ray. Like them very much and the will fit nicely into your other products. Could imagine you will sell lots of these :)

Greetings. Jonathan