UKRay

Shoveling Snow - Any Suggestions?

On the more serious side of the issue (which admittedly is rare for me), don't buy too much shovel. It may be great for doing large swaths of the white, but keep the weight in mind. Snow can weigh anywhere from around 6 Kilos to close to 30 Kilos per cubic .028 meter .........(aside: just what is the conversion for cubic foot?) .........and you've already said that you get a good bit of the wet slushy snow, so figure you'll be on the heavier end of that range.

Grab too much snow and turn the wrong way and the ol' back is going to protest vehemently.

Nothing pretty, which is why I use a program to do the thinking for me. 6-30 kg/ cubic meter is about equivalent to 0.4 to 1.9 pounds/ cubic foot.

I don't plan on shoveling the wretched stuff myself, guys, I just want to own the means to do so... I plan on getting that neighbour's kid to do the work whilst I watch through the window.

Last year I had to dig my old van out with a blasted dog bowl (it was the only thingl I had to hand) and want to be better prepared this time around. More importantly, my new VW Transporter is twice as big as the old van and will take much more effort without the proper tool! LOL

Ray

I don't plan on shoveling the wretched stuff myself, guys, I just want to own the means to do so... I plan on getting that neighbour's kid to do the work whilst I watch through the window.

Last year I had to dig my old van out with a blasted dog bowl (it was the only thingl I had to hand) and want to be better prepared this time around. More importantly, my new VW Transporter is twice as big as the old van and will take much more effort without the proper tool! LOL

Ray

Ray, I still like my idea best!! Steve

Ray,

we have plenty of snowbirds here during the winter, and plenty of room for you too. They have started migrating in from Canada, Utah, and other snowy climes. Then when the temps start hitting high 90's, and 100's they head back home to cooler temps. I am only 1hr from Fabulous Las Vegas Nevada. A couple of years ago we had record snowfall-6" in some areas IIRC. It was neat to see a snowman in front of the Welcome sign on the Strip. Just a side note, the woman who designed the iconic Las Vegas sign lives down the road from me.

This may sound odd, but I actually like having four distinct seasons. Each has its own delights (and drawbacks!) and I enjoy them all. I'm not sure I'd cope well with an 'endless summer' - although my arthritis would probably disagree. I guess it is just what I'm used to.

Steve, California is one of my favorite places on earth and I could cheerfully sit all day listening to good music and drinking micro-brewery beer or California's famous white Zinfandel in San Francisco but I suspect I'd miss my workshop too much to make a habit of it. Same goes for Las Vegas, many happy memories and good times. But I'm still an Englishman and i'd miss the eccentric ways of my country folk. Now, I'm not saying some of you guys aren't wacky - especially those in San Francisco - but we do seem to have an extraordinary number of 'unique' individuals over here!

Right now, I can't imagine living in a place where the WI (Women's Institute) doesn't have a jam stall. I actually enjoy living where the class system flourishes and provides endless entertainment for oiks like me. Where bonkers inventors have been quietly doing their stuff for a thousand or more years. Where the 'architectural heritage' is so prolific you don't actually notice it unless a chunk falls on you....

Where else could you find a road system that grinds to a halt every time it snows, railways that stop running when 'the wrong kind of leaves' fall on the rails, a police force that (in the main) still issues its officers with sticks instead of guns, beer that is served 'warm' and an hereditary administration staffed by oddballs and weirdos responsible for passing laws (think House of Lords). Like I said, eccentricities are what makes the UK such an interesting place.

I can't say I haven't seriously considered moving to the US, but I'm not sure great weather would be a good enough reason to leave all that behind.

It's tempting though! lol

Ray

You don't have to leave the UK, just come over here till the weather gets better over there.

We have our share of characters (Sin City Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence come to mind), and have a burgeoning art scene in downtown LV. First Fridays in the 18b Arts District are a monthy must do for me. We also have LOTS, and LOTS of country outside of LV.

We have 4 seasons;,,,,,,, summer lasts about 6 months-it is still in the upper 80's low 90's here, fall a couple of weeks, winter a few months, and spring is another 2 weeks give or take :lol: I did have to get used to at times having temps still in the 80's around Thanksgiving .

If the weather gets too nasty over there, jump on a plane, and come visit till it gets better.