Tree Reaper

Dog Art

Tried my hand at carving my lab on leather.

post-19342-015290400 1326049331_thumb.jp

Oh, wow! I love that! I actually have thought about trying something like that myself !

Thanks, not very difficult to do.

I had a picture of him that I traced,

post-19342-057006400 1326120053_thumb.jp

carved, blocked out the body area except the nose because he's a yellow lab, gel saddle tan for the finish and the eyes were done with gel mahogany painted on.

Finished with clear coat.

With the two together I can see where I can improve on the next carving.

The mouth on the left extends too far and should drop straight down and I need to darken the area under the nose a little, always room for improvement.

post-19342-058759600 1326122816_thumb.jp

Oh, wow! I love that! I actually have thought about trying something like that myself !

Edited by Tree Reaper

Adorable - I think you captured the dog's likeness and expression very well. Looks like the right jowl needs droop downward a little further, though.

Thanks for the comments.

Adorable - I think you captured the dog's likeness and expression very well. Looks like the right jowl needs droop downward a little further, though.

Right on Ben, I see that now that you mention it.

It comes straight down where I rounded it off at the bottom a little too much too soon.

Good eye!

I know what happened, the picture didn't trace perfectly because I couldn't make out the lines in some places, I can darken those up with a pen the next time so I don't miss them.

I'll make a note of that for the next one.

Kevin.

Edited by Tree Reaper

Cujos!! cool.gif great job! I'm never truly satisfied with my carvings, however, I learn from each one. Nice Dog.

Thanks, each time I look at it I see something that can be corrected, the chin area for example is in too much of an A shape and should be squared off a little, something else that didn't show through the tracing film.

Cujos!! cool.gif great job! I'm never truly satisfied with my carvings, however, I learn from each one. Nice Dog.

I like your carving, and it looks like you've got a great dog there too!

Thanks Cheryl;

He's a good guy and good company.

post-19342-088749500 1326331398_thumb.jp

I read the title line and thought that you were going to have a picture where your dog walked on your leather and you were convinced your dog was an artist.

He's a con artist when it comes to treats.

I read the title line and thought that you were going to have a picture where your dog walked on your leather and you were convinced your dog was an artist.

Well I hammered out another one and I think I have the mouth right but I'll let you all decide if other changes should be made.

Thanks for looking.

Kevin.

post-19342-011452300 1326411432_thumb.jp

Hey, wow, that's even better!

I am not very good at it, but probably the next thing is to learn is how to make fur...

Great job though... I would use those coasters every day!

Oh, and I could tell Jes is a Good Dog, by the way he's lookin at you with those big brown eyes.

That is a great breed of dog - loyal, affectionate & great with kids.

Edited by LNLeather

Thanks Cheryl;

There's something with the nose that seems to be missing, almost too flat like a pigs nose.

I don't know how to improve that and get it raised, maybe open up the nostrils and bevel the edges inside the nostrils but there isn't much room to work.

Kevin

Hey, you are right. I had to copy your pic and then zoom in to see it better.

I had a thought and did a Google Image search for dog nose close up

It is amazing to look at the close ups......

Why don't you try that and you will see that the nose has a different shape than just 2 holes.

and a slight crease up the middle. This is interesting!

post-15330-012656000 1326465356_thumb.jp

and maybe a modeler will help to round the edges?

The nostrils have that slit from the hole down on an angle and I think that's what is missing.

If I put those in it will reduce the nose area making it less flat, I can also model or bevel the inside of the hole.

I think I'll work on a few noses without the dog to see if I can work it out.

Thanks for the idea.

post-19342-032385300 1326466184_thumb.jp

Edited by Tree Reaper

I may be close to having what I want after reworking the nose.

post-19342-094388700 1326488812_thumb.jp

Thanks Cheryl;

There's something with the nose that seems to be missing, almost too flat like a pigs nose.

I don't know how to improve that and get it raised, maybe open up the nostrils and bevel the edges inside the nostrils but there isn't much room to work.

Kevin

Kevin, I noticed the nose right off, which I didn't on your first one so I went back and looked at it. But I swear I can't figure out why they're different. I just carved my horse's eye looking at a picture I took, on my laptop while I did it. It was my second attempt and I thought it looked pretty good, but I couldn't get a good picture of it for the life of me, to put on here. So I hooked up my scanner to this computer and took another one to post, and let me tell you, it shows every hair out of place. Things I could see with my poor old eyes. Like the eyelashes...I'd painted over them 3 times because I didn't really pre-plan, just painted. When I did them the 4th time I scratched down into the raw leather and didn't get them covered up again. I'm not upset, but like you I know it's not right yet. I think animals are hard but when you get them right, it's so cool.

I am not up to even trying my dog yet, has all this wild spaniel hair, etc. Has 4 different colors on her face, and some that are kinda blended, LOL. Anyway, I'm going to try and make a template of the eye, run the pic off etc. but it was fun doing it free hand.

Anyway, both of yours are beautiful, just different and I can't tell why on the nose. Sorry I could be more help. Cheryl

Edited by DoubleC

Well I didn't even SEE the third one, shouldn't come here this early. Great job. Cheryl

I missed this 3rd one yesterday too. Wow, It is fun to see how you have progressed with this.

You might think you were concentrating on the nose, which is much better, but I think you have got everything better...

You almost have a set!

I have looked at your dog so much, I feel like I know him... heheheheh

Good work TR

Edited by LNLeather

That's the last nose job for this guy, he's been promoted from test piece to fridge magnet.

post-19342-056087500 1326571136_thumb.jp