Hi

Tandy has a sale on single shoulders. I want to make an avenger type holster for my CZ 85 and mag pouches, is 6/7 heavy enough for this?

Thanks

Ron

Hi Ron

6 to 7 oz will work very well, easy to shape and will hold its shape giving you good retention to hold the gun in place, it also will work well for your mag pouches.

but getting leather from Tandy???? It would be best if you can go to the store and pick it out in person, the firmer the leather the better the holster will be, if you order over the net they can send you what ever they grab, it may not be what you want or can use.

Hi Ron

6 to 7 oz will work very well, easy to shape and will hold its shape giving you good retention to hold the gun in place, it also will work well for your mag pouches.

but getting leather from Tandy???? It would be best if you can go to the store and pick it out in person, the firmer the leather the better the holster will be, if you order over the net they can send you what ever they grab, it may not be what you want or can use.

Thanks Tom. I would like to go to the store myself but it is 4 hrs away, not a whole lot of choices for leather around here.

Just a suggestion: if I am picking out leather, seeing it before I buy it, . . . I'll go to Tandy's.

If I have to buy it sight unseen, . . . I go to Weaver's in Ohio. They have always, . . . ALWAYS, . . . sent me good stuff.

May God bless,

Dwight

Just a suggestion: if I am picking out leather, seeing it before I buy it, . . . I'll go to Tandy's.

If I have to buy it sight unseen, . . . I go to Weaver's in Ohio. They have always, . . . ALWAYS, . . . sent me good stuff.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the tip Dwight. I'm in Canada and the only places I can find are Tandy and Halfords, are there any other Canadians here that know of any other sources?

I use a #3 Keen Edge Beveler (8077-03) for two layers of 6/7. You will have to be gentle with it in the single layer beveling but it is usable. Sharpen and polish correctly before use.

I use a #3 Keen Edge Beveler (8077-03) for two layers of 6/7. You will have to be gentle with it in the single layer beveling but it is usable. Sharpen and polish correctly before use.

Thanks JoelR

Well I got my leather the other day, Tandy sent me a pretty nice piece and a crappy one. I decided to make a cowboy holster for my old .22 six shooter with the crappy one, I will try the avenger for my 9mil later. It turned out Ok considering this was my first real leather project, until now I just been playing with scraps. I learned quite a bit on this one, made a few mistakes and need to work on my tooling.

here are a couple pics.

hsholster3.jpg

hsholster1.jpg

For a first project that is way better than just OK. Good goin!

Thanks Denster. I colored it with vinagaroon, it came out black as pitch but now that it's dry it's kind of a dark grey...I like it. I'm planning on getting a cap and ball revolver, can't wait to make another one lol

Thanks Denster. I colored it with vinagaroon, it came out black as pitch but now that it's dry it's kind of a dark grey...I like it. I'm planning on getting a cap and ball revolver, can't wait to make another one lol

A light coat of neetsfoot oil will help tremendously with the color and dryness! And then a finish coat of your choice would...well finish it off.

Yeah, if you put a top-coat on there (I use Tandy's Satin Shene) let it dry and buff it with sheep's wool, it should look jet black.

Nick

I would do the coat of neetsfoot oil first and that will blaken it nicely. A top coat will really bring out the sheen afterwards.

Well I finally got around to making my second holster for my CZ 9mm. It has few flaws but I'm happy how it turned out, I need to work on my burnishing and boning. I'm gonna try again see if I can't make it better.

286e2e47.jpg

c4a74216.jpg

Looking pretty good! Be sure to burnish (and dye the edge if you decide to do so) that reinforcement piece prior to assembly. Also, be careful with that indention rearward of the trigger. You want the trigger to fit nicely within a pocket of leather and try to make sure the leather can't push on the face of the trigger should the safety ever be disengaged.

Looking pretty good! Be sure to burnish (and dye the edge if you decide to do so) that reinforcement piece prior to assembly. Also, be careful with that indention rearward of the trigger. You want the trigger to fit nicely within a pocket of leather and try to make sure the leather can't push on the face of the trigger should the safety ever be disengaged.

Thanks Particle, i didn't realize how much the leather shrunk when it dried, I'll have to be more careful next time. By the way, I did this one by watching your Youtube video. Thank you for making a great video your work is awsome

Looks good and should work very good for the pistol.

btw, CZ are one of the best pistols going.

Looks good and should work very good for the pistol.

btw, CZ are one of the best pistols going.

Thanks. Yes the cz is a really good sidearm, I'm finding that out every time I take to the range, it's just a great gun.

I do some gun smithing for comp guns and CZ is the only one I shoot in IPSC and IDPA comp's. Seems that everyone that picks one of mine up and shoots it wants to buy it or have me build one for them. lol

The only thing I really see that I would question about the holster would be the mag release. You want to make sure you do not let it get closer than 1/8 th inch to the mag release. I found that out early on, when drawing my SP01 and lining it up on the first target in a run, I squeezed off the first round and the mag dropped out. I wasn't sure what caused it, just figured I had not seated it properly. So the second run it happened again, but this time I actually was paying attention to it. Later that night I checked and found that with the way I rock my wrist, the mag release would actually come in contact with the holster and hit the button just enough to almost release the mag all the way, the recoil of the first shot was enough to release it the rest of the way. I cut that are back a little and the.problem went away. Granted it is an extended mag release on the SP01, but I cut back the ones on my carry holsters for my 75b and compact holsters all the same.

No mag makes it a really crappy short club.. heh

good points, but the CZ's trigger has a long travel in double action so as it is it won't be an issue. If it was cocked and molded like it is, in single action, I for sure wouldn't want to mold to the face of the trigger edge... "BANG" is not a user friendly sound or feeling !! lol

btw: I drive to Tandy in Tampa now and then and hand pick my shoulders and sides and never have an issue. But, I do avoid buying leather on line from them....

Thanks for the replies. the gun fits very tight in the holster, I'm gonna moisten it a bit to make a wee bit looser but now with the trigger molded the way it is would it be possible to wet it again then cut the mag release out and remold it again?

Thanks for the replies. the gun fits very tight in the holster, I'm gonna moisten it a bit to make a wee bit looser but now with the trigger molded the way it is would it be possible to wet it again then cut the mag release out and remold it again?